20

Chapter 20

Hudson woke with the sun, dressed, then tiptoed into the living room, careful not to make sound. Myles laid sprawled on the couch, a thin blanket draped over him, still sleeping. Brown hair swept over his forehead like a wave and she fought the urge to reach over and brush it from his face.

Instead, she watched the steady rise and fall of his chest, his long, languid breaths and the slight curve of his lips. He seemed peaceful lying there. Comfortable. As if him fast asleep in her apartment were the most natural thing in the world.

Maybe it was? Maybe him being there with her was exactly as it were meant to be. Maybe the puzzle pieces of her life were finally falling into place. If the sole purpose of what she'd been living through brought the only chance she and Myles would ever cross paths, then it would all be worth it in the end. And if something is worth having, it's worth sacrificing for. Isn't that what Gran had always said?

When Myles stirred, she stepped back so he wouldn't catch her staring. He'd done so much for her in the short time they'd known each other, now it was time for her to do something nice for him.

Hudson hurried into the kitchen, her footsteps falling like feathers against the hardwood floor. Opening the refrigerator door, she removed the carton of eggs, milk, and bacon, and went about preparing a breakfast he wouldn't soon forget. She split the remaining three eggs into a pan, the melting butter spreading into a puddle underneath the weight of the yolks. Bacon sizzled against the heat. The scent lifted and filled the space around her, swallowing her up. Her mouth began to water.

"Something smells good," a sluggish voice said from behind.

Hudson turned to find Myles sitting up on the couch, his eyes thick with sleep. Stretching his arms over his head, he let out a yawn. Something about it felt so right. She could get used to waking up to him everyday; his messy bedhead and heavy-lidded gaze. A warmth spread throughout her chest and she couldn't hide the smile that bubbled up inside of her.

"Good morning," she said. "I hope you're hungry."

"I am." His mouth tugged up at one corner. "Looks like you're a morning person."

Hudson swiveled back to the stove and turned off the burners. "I suppose I am." Pulling plates from the cupboard, she slid two fried eggs onto his plate and one onto hers, then plopped a few slices of bacon next to each. Several pieces of toast, the tops glistening with golden butter, stacked one atop another on a plate of their own. As Myles settled into to a seat, she set the plates on the table.

"This looks amazing." He flashed her a smile. "You didn't have to go through all the trouble."

A slow blush made its way across her cheeks. "It wasn't any trouble. I love to make breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day."

Myles picked up a slice of bacon and took a big bite. "I remember you saying that before." His eyes spanned the kitchen. "Do I smell coffee?"

Hudson pushed her chair back and stood. "Oh gosh! How could I forget? How do you take it?"

"Black, please. And thank you. For all of this."

"It's the least I can do after all you've done for me." Smiling to herself, she poured two mugfuls, the steam swelling over the top, and joined him again at the table.

Myles took a sip, studying her over the rim. He set the mug on the table and held it between his hands. "You seem more relaxed than you were last night. Were you able to sleep?"

Her heart fluttered like a hummingbird against her chest. "Yes, thank you. How about you? I hope the couch was comfortable enough."

He stabbed his fork into the eggs and took a bite. "It was fine. These are great, by the way." Myles took in another forkful.