Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

VII. The List

William Wakefield was already waiting for them, in all his rakish and handsome glory, by the time the equally infuriating dance was over. His friend's blue eyes had never left Tori, and it took Levi one glance to know what the cad was thinking.

And he could not permit it.

"Go over to Margaret," he whispered to Tori, but Wakefield was as fast as one of his mother's stallions.

"Levi!" Wakefield was all smiles as he approached, but his eyes were on his target. He felt Tori go still beside him. "I am afraid I cannot wait for an introduction from you, so let me do it myself." He turned his lean form to face Tori and bowed, "William Hayward, Lord of Wakefield. It will be my pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Victoria."

"You know me?"

Levi gritted his teeth at Tori's obvious happy ignorance. Of course, the bloody bastard knew her name. Levi would wager Wakefield had learned it not ten minutes ago.

"Ah, yes," he said, smiling at Wakefield. "Tori, meet William Wakefield, the biggest rakehell in town."

Wakefield's eyes snapped toward him before he focused his attention back on Tori. "That is the common misconception of my poor, innocent reputation, my lady."

"Tori, I see Margaret is looking for you," Levi said through his teeth, eyes on Wakefield, filled with warning.

"What do you mean? She is talking to the twins and Ralph," Tori replied, looking around with an innocent frown.

He gave her a tiny push, which she finally took as a sign that her presence was no longer wanted. She gave Wakefield a shy curtsy before sauntering away.

Wakefield glared at Levi. "We meet again after many months. Or is it years? When was the last time we saw each other? Was it when we went hunting down south? But no matter. What I mean to say is that after a long time of not seeing each other, the first thing you do is deprive me of the company of a beautiful woman. Where are your manners?"

There was a playful glint in Wakefield's blue eyes. Levi could never blame the many women who had cried for the bastard. He was handsome, his blond hair perfect for his rough features. His blue eyes appeared gentle under thick eyebrows, giving him an overall confident mien. He was also a dandy, always dressed in naught but the latest fashionable articles.

If wealth was to be considered, William Wakefield was a perfect candidate. But he would never be a good husband. He saw women as a passing fancy. Should they ever give anything to him, they must expect nothing in return but his time in bed. Levi never saw the man keeping a mistress for more than a year.

"You stay away from her, Wakefield," Levi warned.

Wakefield's brows cocked high. "Are you by chance planning to offer for her? Or is she already yours? Has my mother neglected to share more Everard gossips?"

Levi's eyes narrowed. "No, but she is looking for a husband, not a lover."

"A husband..." Wakefield said, his voice trailing in consideration. "I wonder why? She has remained unmarried for years, has she not?"

"And you know so much about her now because?"

Wakefield laughed and gave him a friendly slap. "I knew of Victoria Ashdown for years, Levi. She is amongst the list of women I vowed never to touch, but the said list has also been put aside for future consideration. I am afraid my mother is now amongst those who pester."

"Do not do anything that would cause you our friendship, Wakefield. Stay away from Victoria."

Wakefield looked over Levi's shoulder to where Tori was, eyes filled with longing and disappointment. He sighed and stared back at Levi. "Very well. For now."