Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

VIII. Dresses for Dresses

"The Theobalds hold one of the largest parties each year during the Wickhurst Season and it is attended by most of the polite society. And they last for an entire weekend, an excellent opportunity for me," she said.

"I know what the bloody Theobald party is all about, Tori. I also know it bears fruit to many scandals."

"I know that, Levi." She had attended a few herself until she had grown tired of it three years ago. It was too crowded, with too many activities she could barely wrap her head around, and there were just too many games going on. Too many and too farfetched, in fact, that once she did not know she was part of the game until she was told she lost.

But this time she had to come.

"It will be easy to get an invitation," she said. "Margaret can easily gain one for me. Lady Theobald is good friends with your mother." Then she drew in a deep breath. "But it will be a challenge to escape Clarice," she murmured. "She may sabotage my plans."

"And why would she do that?" he asked with a frown.

She blinked away. "Because she knows I do not wish to marry Lucas."

The feeling that she was not being completely honest with him was there again. Yet he had no right to demand everything from her. Instead, he said, "The Theobald Ball is amongst the largest in the Town, Tori. You've attended some yourself. You know very well that it is easy to get lost."

A conspiratorial smile crept up her face. "Yes, of course, I also know that."

Levi sighed and said, "Now, remove yourself from my chamber."

"Pulling me here in the first place," she huffed, turning around to walk to the door, "when there are other rooms in the manor—" Tori paused when the knob refused to turn. "Did you, by any chance, lock the door?" she asked.

"You closed it yourself," he said, his voice muffled by the pillow. "Must be jammed. Try one more time."

"Well, it must be completely jammed because it is not turning." She tried knocking on the door, hoping to catch someone's attention from outside.

"Don't do that, you fool! You'll catch the attention of the servants. Or worse, my mother," Levi said, jumping off the bed to rush to her side. He reached for the knob and frowned when it did not turn.

"I told you, it is locked." She placed her hands on her hips and fixed him a hard look. "Now, how do you suppose we get out?"

"Bloody tarnation," he cursed through his teeth, giving the knob another turn. "It is jammed."

Tori frowned. "I don't see the Everard House having poor maintenance."

"You are suggesting someone locked us in? Then, who do you think would be—" he paused, his gaze connecting with hers. "The twins," they both concluded at once.

"I'll bloody murder them," he gritted out, stalking to the window.

"Where are you going?" she asked when he climbed on it. When he did not offer a reply, Tori scoffed. "Levi, you may think you're clever to jump through the window, but I do not."

"If you plan to spend the entire day locked with me in my chamber, you are not welcome. I will not stay here with you for another five minutes. We shall be in the gossip section of the Herald by morning should any of the servants discover us. I will not be like the Barton bloke."

"Barton?"

"The one caught in the same room with his sister's friend. That Barton bloke. Two years ago."

"How did you know—"

"I told you. The twins send me weekly missives."

"Levi, they found him in bed with the woman."

icon lock

Show your support for J.D. Ruiz, and continue reading this story

by J.D. Ruiz
@greenwriter
Lady Victoria Ashdown will do anything to protect her inheritance and...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 32 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @greenwriter.