Chapter 23: Mother pt. 2

You guys okay with the new book cover?

Aria's POV

I had surprisingly made it home okay from the restaurant. I tried to put a finger on what it was, but I just couldn't get that whole experience out of my head.

I wasn't sure what the hell compelled me to even do this, but my fingers searched through my contacts on my phone until I reached my mothers.

I pressed the call button and brought the phone to my ear. After the first ring, my mom picked up. "Hey, Ari." She greeted.

"Hi mom. How are you?" I asked, pulling my knees up to my chest like I used to when I would talk on the phone with friends for hours.

"I've been better, honestly." She chuckled half heartedly into the line.

"What's going on?" I asked, this newfound bravery coursing through my veins as I finally, for the first time in a while, felt comfortable enough to even ask that.

"Dealing with Jake and his family. They all want to know where you've run off to. Jake tried to tell them you were mentally unstable, but I put that boy in check real quick. No one says my girls crazy for not wanting to marry some control freak." She joked. It had been a while since I had seen my mom this loose with me. I wasn't sure if this was her breaking, or gluing the pieces back to get her, but never the less, I loved every moment of it.

"Thank you, Mom." I whispered back into the line, smiling.

"Don't mention it. How is everything, baby?"

"It's been good." I choked on a sob/laugh, as I tried to put a cap on my emotions. "I don't think I've ever felt so lost, yet so at home before. Everyone here has their own little quirks about them. You won't believe what job I got." I started.

"Enlighten me." She laughed.

"Well, I'm an art teacher for an elementary school." I replied honestly. I was a bit afraid of what she would think. Being either an Artist or a Teacher was definitely not something my mom saw in my future.

"You always loved to create. Even when you were younger. Do you remember-" her voice broke a bit at the end there, and I knew she was silently crying. It was something she and I both had in common. "Do you remember when your father bought you your first art set?" She asked.

"I could never forget. I still have it packed here at the bottom of my suitcase."

"You brought that old thing with you?" She asked in disbelief, sniffling slightly before blowing her nose away from the phone.

"Of Course, I bring it everywhere." I replied honestly.

"You're something else, Aria." She joked. "Now tell me more about this boy you mentioned last time we talked." She spoke, her voice serious now.

"Which boy?" I asked, my heartbeat racing a tad because I had completely forgot I let it slide when I went on a rant about me having control over my life and all that bullshit.

"Don't play me, Aria." My mother warned. I sighed, heavily regretting my life decisions right about now.

"His name is Chris. I met him while I was working." I started. Even his name brought a smile to my face. Jesus, I needed to get a grip. "His uh- his kid is in my class." I finished hesitantly, just waiting for the lecture she was about to give me.

"How old is he?" She asked, completely unfazed.

"S-Six." I choked out, completely taken back by my moms reaction to all of this.