Chapter 30: The Confession

Aria's POV

My hands nervously shook in my lap as I waited patiently for any updates on Lacey while I sat in the lobby area. I had tried to cool my feelings, knowing Chris had every right to be mad, but I just couldn't. I should have known better than to keep this from him.

I knew first hand what it was like to love someone so dearly, even though they acted in a nature that brought pain to you and the ones you love. I also knew how hard it was to reach out for help with such a tough situation. I felt as if Lacey needed me, and she needed her privacy through the whole ordeal.

I smelt my mothers perfume as she walked over and took a seat beside me. Her hand silently slid into mine. "He's just emotional, baby." She whispered, tightening her hold on me, the way she used to when I was younger.

"I know." I nodded, pulling her hand further into me as I leaned into her. I rested my head into her shoulder and she rested her head on mine. I'd never been this close to my mother these past few years, like I was today.

"Give it time. From what I've seen, I know he cares too deeply, and doesn't know how to explain it." She whispered after some time. I sighed against her as we watched the nurses busy themselves with potential clients in the waiting room. There was a family that had been there since we arrived. A man was grasping a women's arm in his own as she cried uncontrollably against his side.

The whole situation was uncomfortable for me. I was never a fan of hospitals or how artificial the environment was to be in. As I stared at the carpet flooring, I noticed a pair of shoes walking toward us. My mom and I both glanced up to find Chris staring at us awkwardly. "Hello, Ms. Lane." Chris stuck out him arm, his eyes pleading silently with her for forgiveness.

"So you finally figured out who I was." My mother nodded, gracefully slipping her hands into his as she stood up.

"I apologize profusely." He said sincerely as he let go and backed up a bit to give her distance.

"Apology accepted, I'm sorry to hear about Lacey. I'm going to go check on her and give you two some privacy." My mother nodded, bending down to place a light kiss on my forehead before grabbing her purse and heading towards the patient rooms. My hands continued to fidget in my lap as she disappeared around the corner. Instantly, Chris dropped to his knees as his hands rested on my knees.

"I'm so incredibly sorry." He whispered up at me as my eyes held his.

"I'm not mad at you." I whispered, slipping my hands into his as he stood and pulled me up with him. His hands instantly wound their way around my waist and he pulled me into a tight embrace.

"I'm so sorry." He mumbled into my ear as I hugged him back. His scent filled my nostrils, sending me into a natural high once again. It frustrated me, how his touch could just silence my demons like that... Make me feel so safe and secure by his embrace.

"It's okay." I nodded, finally pulling away from him. "The whole situation had just been more than either of us had thought we could handle." I explained as Chris lead me through the glass doors and out into the crisp air for a breather. The weather had started to get seriously colder with winter on the brink. There was only a few more days till Halloween yet it felt like it could snow at any moment. I would have to get used to the cold.

"Agreed. But regardless, that didn't give me the right to snap like that." Chris sighed, as we walked towards a bench on the far side of the parking lot with his hand in mine. The parking lot had began to empty as the time dragged on. I hadn't even noticed how late into the day it was until I glanced at my watch and it read 4:52.

"It's okay, there's just been a lot on my mind." I spoke honestly as we took a seat.

"What's wrong?" Chris asked, his hand holding mine tighter.

"I-I have a lot to explain, and I'm not too sure how to say it, so I'm just going to say everything and I need you just keep and open mind about it all, okay?" I pleaded, as I held both his hands in my lap.

"That's okay." He nodded, giving me his full attention.

"Okay," I sighed, taking a long breather, "so I want to be able to represent Lacey in court. My mom is currently speaking with her about building up a case."

"In court? As in, be her lawyer?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing up in confusion.

"Yes. Before I moved here, I was a lawyer for a Law firm." I confessed, watching him intensely as he continued to process everything I was saying.

"That's- that's fine. I'm sure you had your reasons for not wanting to talk about it. I'm also sure you were a kick ass lawyer. If anyone is to represent Lacey, I'd want it to be you." He nodded, assuring me.

I bit my lip nervously, trying to offer him a polite smile. "That's actually the problem." I sighed.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, in order for me to represent Lacey, I'll need to work independently. Right now, my license is held up at my previous law firm. Up until last night, I never wanted to be a lawyer again." I confessed.

"Couldn't you just call in and ask for it? Or talk to your old boss to get cleared to work this case?" Chris asked hopefully.

"It isn't that easy." I replied honestly.

"What do you mean?" He asked, his hands loosening their grip on mine.

"My old boss... He's also my ex fiancé."

-----------------------------------