15 | Bona Fide

My arms start cramping up as I readjust my grip on Alby. Again, Thomas and Minho each have one of Alby's legs and I have his shoulders. My regular walking has turned into a gradual limp, with my feet scraping against the ground with my tired body. 

"Just a little bit further." Minho mumbles, his body equally as tired as mine. "Right around this corner." 

My mind is racing. What's Newt going to say? What I did yesterday, running into the Maze, was stupid...extremely and utterly stupid. A decision I made on the verge of fright. My friends were in there and weren't going to make it...I had to do something. Newt has always been uneasy about me being a Runner...and now. Now it's different. I willingly ran into the Maze at night. He probably won't ever speak to me again. Probably be too ashamed and disgusted to even look at me. How will I be able to live with myself after this? 

My heart begins racing as we turn the last corner coming in sight of the Glade. The doors make their last creak as they fully open to the green-grassed Glade. The first person to come into view is Chuck. He's standing red-cheeked and messy-haired right at the edge of the Maze. He doesn't see us at first. Then someone flashes by. It's Newt. He's pacing. Pacing back and forth right in front of the Maze doors. His face is scrunched up with concern and his hair is extremely messy, probably from him running his fingers through it so much. The bags under his eyes are very evident and his bottom lip is slightly quivering. Fry stands a little behind chuck, his fists clutching his backpack tightly in distress. The rest of the Gladers get up from their sleeping spots by the Maze doors, peering into the Maze.

"No. Way." A voice comes from a blonde Glader as he squints his eyes to see our struggling figures turn the corner. 

"Yeah!" Chuck yells out, throwing his fists in the air in excitement. 

Newt's eyes widen and find mine. My broken and tired eyes. We limp our way over the threshold of the Maze, the boys cheering and congratulating us. We are the first ones to ever survive a night out in the Maze.

"I got him." Thomas says, looking over at me. I nod, pulling up my arms and giving most of the weight over to Thomas and Minho. 

I look over at Newt, his entire figure shattered. I run for him, throwing myself into him. 

"I'm so sorry." I cry. I place my hand on the back of his neck and pull myself into him. His strong arms immediately react, pulling me into him. A sheet of paper couldn't have fit between the two of us. Newt is shaking, his hands sprawled out on my back, holding me for dear life. 

"I'm so mad at you." Newt mumbles, his voice weak.

I kiss the part of his neck where it meets his shoulder and sigh, "I know." I run my hands through his hair, embracing everything about him, relishing in the moment. "You can yell and scream at me all you want later...but right now. Let me hold onto you, please. I thought I'd never see you again." I mumble, my eyes filling up with tears.

Newt nods and I nuzzle my head into his neck, breathing in his scent...his beautiful, indescribable scent. They say if you love someone, you should let them go to see if they come back. But I say that's a bunch of bull...if you really love someone. Never let them go. Never in a million years.

I feel my shoulder get wet and I realize Newt's crying. I've never seen Newt cry. I really hurt him. Hearing his quiet sobs and feeling his body shake with mine makes my heart shatter. It sends an actual, physical pain through my body. 

***

I sigh loudly as the water shooting from the shower head hits my body. My muscle's immediately relax as the water falls down through  my hair and over my body. My eyes fall close but I immediately open them. I can't get that image out of my head. The Griever. It haunts me, just like the sound of those damn doors closing. Each time I close my eyes the image of the Griever chasing Thomas and I comes back to me like a photograph.