25 | Indignant

"Help!" This single word causes Newt to pull away from me and look for the owner of this command.

"Noah!" Thomas calls out, finding the person lying under a big piece of debris. Newt runs over to help Thomas pull Noah out, but the Griever claw enters the Council Hall again, dragging Noah back with him.

"Newt!" I yell, as the claw comes in. I grab Newt by the arms, pulling him back, away from the claw.

Just then, on the other side of the Council Hall, another Griever claw enters. The Gladers jump back, running, crawling, jumping, pretty much anything to get to the other side of the Council Hall. The claw scrambles around for someone. My eyes land on Chuck, who's standing still, out of fear, watching the claw.

"Chuck!" Thomas yells out, just as the claw extends, grabbing the back of Chuck's shirt.

"No!" I scream, running forward. I grab his left arm, my nails sinking into his skin as I try hard to pull him away from the Griever. Thomas joins me, grabbing his other arm. Newt grabs the arm I'm holding and Minho helps Thomas.

"Chuck, don't let go!" Thomas yells, pulling harder.

"No shit!" Chuck yells back.

The Griever doesn't give up. Chuck's face changes as he realizes the same thing I do; we won't be able to pull him from the Griever. The next thing I know, all I hear is a ton of screaming. And then I'm watching Alby violently smash the Griever's arm with a wooden pipe. With each smash, comes another violent scream from Alby's lips. Finally, the Griever lets go of Chuck out of pain. Chuck falls to the ground and Alby hits the Griever claw one last time, causing it to retreat.

"Chuck, are you alright?" I yell, pulling him back further away from the hole in the wall.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." Chuck nods. "Thanks Alby."

Alby looks over at us, something in his eyes. Some sort of satisfaction or peace of mind. That is before the Griever claw comes smashing back through the wall, grabbing Alby with it.

"Alby, no!" I cry, jumping up from my seat.

Thomas beats me there, grabbing his arms. Newt grabs me by the waist, holding me back. Alby gets sucked through the wall, the Griever taking what it came for.

"No, Newt!" I cry out, trying to pry his arms off of me. "Alby!" I cry out, tears forming in my eyes.

"Brooke, don't." Newt pleads.

"Alby!" I scream, tears pouring down my face. I can feel Newt crying as well as he holds me back from straight running outside after him. My body goes limp as I give up against Newt's strong arms. Newt holds me for a while as Thomas stands there, shock registering over his body.

"Thomas..." Teresa yells, warningly, before Thomas takes off outside, doing what I was trying to do before.

I race off after him, Newt right behind me. I almost completely run into Thomas' back, realizing he has stopped in his tracks.

The damage. The damage is overwhelming. There's no one else in sight, no more Grievers either. A large fire is piling through the Homestead and the stench of dying bodies fills my nose.

Three figures emerge from the smoke. One of them, leading the other two, I immediately recognize as Gally. Gally comes running up, his nostrils flared, and anger radiating off of him.

"Gally.." Newt warns, seeing right through his anger.

Gally runs up, pulling his arm back and punching Thomas right in the face.

"Woah!" I yell, running forward and shoving Gally back. Jeff, Frypan and Minho help me hold him back.

"Look at this, Thomas!" Gally screams. There's a crazed look in Gally's eyes as he pulls against his restrainers.

Newt runs over and pulls me away from Gally, noticing the look in his eyes as well.

"Look around! This is what you did!" Gally screams.

"No, Gally!" Minho screams. "This is not Thomas' fault!"

"Let's go, Gally!" One of the two guys that ran up with Gally says.

"You heard what Alby said!" Gally continues to yell. "He's one of 'em!"

"One of who?" Winston yells.

"He's one of 'em and they sent him here to destroy everything and now he has!" Gally yells, trying so hard to pull away from Frypan and Minho, probably to kill Thomas. "Look around, Thomas! Look around! This is your fault!"

"Calm down, Gally!" Newt yells, running over to him.

"Newt.." I say, trying to grab his arm and stop him from going over to Gally, in fear of his life.

"They sent him here, and now he's destroyed everything that we've built!" Gally yells back at Newt.

"What're you bloody talking about?" Newt yells back.

"Thomas..." Teresa's tone of voice pulls me away from the scene happening in front of me. I turn around and find something shocking.

"Maybe he's right..." Thomas mumbles, holding the Griever poison out in front of him.

"Thomas, no." I mumble, walking over to him. 

"No, Brooke!" He says forcibly. "I need to remember."

"Thomas.." Teresa repeats.

And with a loud grunt, Thomas slams the Griever stinger into his abdomen. 

"Thomas!" I scream, causing everyone's attention to fall on Thomas. 

Thomas falls to the ground, shaking violently. Teresa crouches next to him, yelling at Chuck to get the other syringe, and holding Thomas. Newt runs over, crouching next to me, who's right next to Thomas. Thomas' eyes drift off and gloss over, causing my heart rate to increase. Anger boils within me as I jump up. 

I run over to Gally, "YOU DID THIS, YOU BASTARD!" I scream, my voice comes out so loud it actually surprise me. I shove Gally back, taking Gally by surprise, which causes him to stumble backwards. "YOU MADE HIM THINK THIS WAS HIS FAULT!" I scream. 

"Brooke.." Newt comes up behind me, grabbing my arms and trying to calm me down.

"No, Newt!" I yell. "He did this!" I say, my voice lower but more anger put into it. "HE MIGHT DIE BECAUSE OF YOU!" I yell, launching myself onto him. Before I can even comprehend what is happening, my fist comes in contact with Gally's jaw. By everyone's surprise, Gally lurches over in pain. Newt runs over and grabs my shoulders, pulling me away from Gally.