Chapter 2

“Samantha, you’re scaring me. What happened to your chest? Who hurt you?” Devin hurried to ask.

I looked him in the eyes and said, “You did. You’ve been hurting me repeatedly for the past three years.”

At my words his face transformed from one of confusion to pure, cold blooded, fear.

“What do you mean by that? I’ve done nothing but love you. You’re my world, I would never dream of hurting you. It would pain myself to do so.” 

I almost believed him, but I knew better.

“You can’t hide it from me anymore, especially since you didn’t get a chance to shower this time and I can smell whoever you were with all over you.” I said keeping my voice as emotionless as possible, willing the tears not to fall.

His tanned complexion paled. He looked deeply into my eyes and whatever he saw there must have chilled him to the bone because he shivered.

“You know.” He stated with sadness.

“I have known, from the very first time and every time thereafter. There were pack meetings that stick out in my memory, where a she wolf that you’ve been with would pass you by and her scent would hit me like a blow. Though you paid her no attention, as if she were a distant memory, I could remember every detail of the night you came home smelling of sex and her. Then there were the times when I would catch you choosing your next conquest as she sauntered past with a wink and a smile. Every one you returned was another dagger to my heart.” I couldn’t believe I was getting this all out without allowing a single tear to fall. 

He whispered, “None of them mean anything to me, you’re the only one I love.”

“I don’t know if that makes it better or worse, to know that you cheated on me for no other reason but that you could.” 

“There was never a question of my love for you, I love you with all that I am, with every fiber of my being. You are the air I breathe, the reason I live my life.” He tried to make me believe his words but I was too far gone to listen.

Ignoring his vows of love I asked the one question that had been plaguing my mind from the start and was imperative to my daughters future, “Tell me Devin, out of the hundred or so women that you have been with, have any of them bore your child?”

This caused a change in his expression, from sadness to anger. “None.” he said with such vehemence, “I was always careful with them, never once did I not protect myself or you.”

“Hmmm…well that’s something I guess. At least you were considerate enough to protect my body even though you were so careless with my heart.” I stated resigned to my future without him.

“I have been all I can for you. Your lover, your supporter, your friend, your Luna. I have given you all I had to offer, only asking that you be the same for me in return. I left my family and the pack I knew to stand by your side. Yet you betrayed everything that was offered so freely. Now, there is nothing left for me to give. You have taken my heart and replaced it with a black hole of nothingness. So I have decided to give you one last thing, the only thing I have left to give. Freedom from the bond that binds us together.” After saying this I removed the bandage covering his mark with the freshly made cuts over it and heard his sharp intake of breath.