FLIPKA

FLIPKA was published by Booktrope Editions on August 31, 2013.  Booktrope has kindly given me permission to print sections of it on Wattpad.  Thanks guys!

As far as I know (and I don’t know much) it is only available on Amazon at:  http://bit.ly/TRJNe4.  The price seems to vary with the moon.  

This story is set in the great state of Nevada, which has not given me permission to do anything but leave.  If you’ve never been there before, it’s a big state dotted with itty-bitty, broken down towns separated by vast expanses.  The major population centers of Reno/Tahoe and Vegas are almost border towns so they don’t really count as true Nevada but don’t tell them I said that.

The brief synopsis: Four girls disappear from a reformatory in a remote desert and Fiona Butters, a former psychoanalyst, must figure out what happened to them.  The year is 1978, a particularly paranoid time in a state where conspiracy theories roll across the barren deserts like tumbleweeds, propelled by isolationism and a deep distrust of the government.  Fiona, who is also the narrator, is a self-effacing brainiac in her early thirties.  A lover of quizzical oddities in both the natural and supernatural worlds, she was married once and that was enough.  None-the-less, she faces the vicissitudes of life with cocky assuredness, an irreverent attitude, and a bawdy sense of humor.  Thus her childhood nickname:  Flipka.