Chapter 4

Tried to make it longer.

Picture of Alfonso >>>

***

Xavier looked up from his seat at the kitchen table when Elle walked in with a smile on her face. He pushed away his half-empty plate of toast, bacon and eggs to lean his forearms against the counter.

"Good morning, sunshine," he greeted with a smile.

Elle smiled back and walked over to peck him on his cheek. He had always called her sunshine. It annoyed her in the beginning, but after over eight years it was safe to say she almost liked it.

"Morning, Xavier. I'm going jogging," she said as she spun around to grab a piece of toast from his plate. "You wanna come with?"

"I already went and I distinctively remember trying to wake you up so we could go together."

"You tried to wake me up? When?"

Xavier shrugged. "About an hour and a half ago. You gave me a couple of... choice words, shall we say."

She grinned. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again I promise you.

He shook his head as she headed towards their front door. "That's what you say every day!"

Elle chuckled as she pocketed her iPod and began her running her daily mile. She loved running, almost as much as cooking. It was a weird combination, she admitted, but one she couldn't explain. She was even on her high school track racing team a few years earlier. She smiled to herself as she remembered the shock in her coach's eyes when she told him she wanted to be a chef. Priceless.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She stopped in her tracks and answered it without checking the caller ID.

"Elle speaking," she said into the phone distractedly.

"Seychelles, sweetie, I wish you would stop cutting your name short."

Elle smiled as she noticed her father's annoyed tone. He had always hated it when people called her that, which is why she loved it so much.

"Well, if I had a choice I'd have chosen a name like Sarah. Something common and-"

"Unoriginal?" he demanded. She could actually picture him rolling his eyes. "I didn't call to discuss your name. We're having a few business colleagues over for dinner tonight. One of them is bringing over his son. I want you to meet him, so be here by six o'clock sharp."

Elle frowned. "Dad, I can't. I have to be somewhere tonight."

"Where?" he demanded.

"Well I have a date with this guy and-"

"Date?" he interrupted once again, practically shouting. "Since when do you have dates with men I don't know?"