chapter fifteen // in the zone.

linley's pov

Zayn's laughter trickles above all as I do my best pulling the sticky cotton candy from my hair that he so kindly got stuck in there. I can't help but to laugh as well as the pink fluff hardens around my blonde hair, bumping Zayn lightly with my hip. 

At least he helps guide me through the busy crowds of people as I concentrate on the task at hand. He places his hand on my shoulder to help weave me through people much taller.

"I hate you," I whine as the sugary sweet solidifies inside my hair, making it damn-near impossible to remove.

"I think the pink and blue looks lovely on you," Zayn teases as we head back into the heart of the festival, passing a stage loud and wild with performers. 

Whoever's on stage at this moment is causing the entire crowd to go absolutely insane. The stage lights start to turn on as the sky darkens with each passing moment. Once the sky goes down and becomes a black-painted canvas, the energy throughout the entire small world here at Ragstock goes through the roof. 

I can feel my heart pounding in my chest to the beat of the bass thumping through the speakers. I'm back into the concert atmosphere where I feel most at home. 

But where I feel most at home also means where I feel most anxious. 

"LINLEY!" A loud scream pulls my attention, causing me to nearly jump out of my boots once Zayn and I distance ourselves from the loud crowd as we trail around, heading into the madness that is backstage. 

I look up to see Sable running towards me at full force. Her black hair whips through the air as she rushing in my direction. She wears a look of pure panic that I want to just run away from. 

I can't handle this at this moment.

"I've been looking for you everywhere," Sable sighs as she approaches us, wrapping her arms around me in a comforting hug, less to calm me down, but more to calm herself down, "We're next for soundcheck," She tells me, her entire body shaking with nerves.

"I know," I nod, trying to keep that calm collectiveness that Zayn had forced me into two short hours ago. I don't want to let go of what that felt like. 

Sable stares at me with wide eyes, obviously confused as to why I'm not having a panic attack with her. Usually the roles are reversed and it's me shouting panicked words in her face, worrying myself sick. 

"Well what are we going to do?" She raises her voice, gesturing towards Zayn without even acknowledging him. I catch his scowl out of the corner of my eye. 

Glancing at everyone else running around backstage with a tension of terror to themselves, I can't thank Zayn enough. I'm sure if he hadn't done what he did, I'd be lying dead from a heart attack. 

Who would have thought I'd end up being grateful for Zayn? 

"We're going to soundcheck," I shrug my shoulders, stepping past Sable to head further into the frenzied depths of the backstage area. 

I can feel Sable's utterly confused eyes glued to me as she follows closely behind Zayn and I. I sneak a glance at Zayn, treating him to a small, grateful smile for a fraction of a second. 

Just because he saved me from driving myself absolutely insane, doesn't mean that the two of us are going to become best friends forever and tell each other our secrets and enjoy being handcuffed to one another.

That's most definitely not going to happen; ever.

"Linley, there you are!" The same overly-friendly man that had approached me earlier greets me with a quick hug, not actually taking the time to give me a proper hug, "This band is finishing up their encore and then you guys are free to soundcheck," He tells me, ushering me closer to the stairs.