Chapter 12

Me happy. Me more than happy. Me totally radiant with happiness. You lovely people. Me no babble no more. Me give you chapter 12. You enjoy.

 (That imbecility was what your love and support reduced me to...)

 CHAPTER 12

Lightly putting Rachel down on her feet, Andrew swiftly scanned the lane in which they found themselves. He made his decision and grasping her hand firmly, started pulling her towards a disused track which ran beside the road. Still feeling dizzy from the jump and her lack of nutrition, Rachel stumbled along in his wake for what seemed like hours. He did not slow down until they had crossed a desolate heath and attained the temporary cover provided by an abandoned little sheepcote; but once inside, he made Rachel lie down on some moldy hay piled in a corner and proffered the piece of bread which, in spite of its insufficient quality and quantity, seemed to be nothing short of manna to Rachel in her currently famished state.

As she sat consuming the morsel, he watched her with a curious expression – a mixture of anxiety, gentleness, and…guilt? She was too far gone at that moment to either analyze his thoughts or to feel conscious about his perusal of her frenzied eating habits. After she gained some colour back into her cheeks, he sat down before her with a determined face.

“I am so, so sorry Miss Warren; more sorry than I can ever express,” he began. “Not just for hurrying you when you were in no condition to walk, but also for your present predicament. This entire mess is my fault, mine and my cousin’s. You were just an innocent by-stander who got embroiled in this sordid affair without any fault of yours. I wish I could explain to you in detail, but,” he darted a cagey glance behind him at the empty doorway which provided scant safety from detection, “we really do not have time now. We need to be on the move constantly in order to throw our pursuers off.

“I will only tell you this much now – I have your best interests at heart. You have been mistaken for a young woman who is currently on the run to save her life. The people who want to harm her confused you with her, and kidnapped you to keep you in their control until they could confirm your identity. They are ruthless people, and you must understand that they will not hesitate to take your life as well. Therefore, it is in our interests to always be on the run and to stay ahead of them at all times.”

It was too much to take in at once, especially on an empty stomach (well, almost empty, anyway). Could she trust such an outlandish story? Her inner common-sense rebelled; such fantastic events happened in books, not real life. She almost opened her mouth to question Andrew, when she happened to look at his eyes for a brief moment. Whatever else she might doubt, she could not question the honesty that shimmered in their depths. He certainly believed in the gravity of the situation. How was her life turned upside down like that in a flash?

But emergencies seldom occur when you are best prepared for them. Rachel knew that, and she literally trusted Andrew with her life now. It was no use prevaricating and putting off her acceptance in the scheme, really. She nodded once before standing up shakily and striding out of the sheepcote, only turning back to counter Andrew’s bemused look with an unexpectedly saucy smile. “Well sir, so are you going to come with me, or am I expected to stay ahead of the bad people on my own?”

Andrew’s relieved laugh echoed off the rotting walls around him.

                                                             Xxxxx

Their pace was brisk and Andrew guided Rachel along swiftly at a speed that discouraged talking. Yet, she had one question which her curiosity demanded to be answered before they went much further, and she got her chance when they were taking a short respite beside some overgrown laurel bushes.