Chapter 24

Hey there, beautiful-people-who-are-responsible-for-putting-me-on-top-of-the-world! Here's the next installment of the much awaited night of the ball; and as a special bonus, we get to see into Andrew's mind for the first time! Does he looove our Rachel or not? Let's find out...

CHAPTER 24

“Should I open the conversation, or should I wait for her to start?” Andrew wondered as they walked back sedately on the softly-lighted path leading back to the gardens, appearing for the entire world as just one more couple taking a break from the stifling ballroom. Rachel was either in the same dilemma or she didn’t have anything to say, since she was as resolutely silent as him. Just when the situation seemed about to become unbearable, they both started speaking at the same time.

“Miss Warren, I can’t tell you how…”

“I am extremely glad Colonel, to…”

They stared at each other with mortification for a moment before simultaneously bursting into laughter.

“Oh dear, it was not this awkward even that night we spent in Marsham-in-the-Vale, was it?” Rachel grinned, before sobering down hurriedly. Perhaps he did not want to be reminded of those times?

Andrew, who had been intensely studying her body language since the first moment of their fortuitous meeting, also stiffened slightly. It seemed like those memories were not very pleasant ones for Rachel, if she was so quick in stifling down every smile which arose in relation with them. Obviously – she had been dragged into the affair and had never been used to the rigors she was forced to endure during those times; it was no wonder if she wanted to forget that experience as a bad memory and get on with her life. But still, he had been foolishly hoping that the time they had shared had been as precious for her as it was for him…

Rachel, unaware of the wrong signals she had just given the man at her side, started talking again. “What I wanted to say earlier sir was that I am extremely glad that you came back in sound body and mind from overseas. I…believe many had been worried for your safety the while.” She blushed in memory of all the night-time prayers she had uttered in his name the past six months, and also hoped that he would not notice the slip she had almost made while talking about her individual worry for his safety.

Why has it suddenly become so difficult to talk with him? I have known my feelings for him since ages and yet managed to hold a decent conversation with him most of the time. Had I not decided to make the most of tonight’s meeting with him? Then why am I wasting my time in feeling, horror of horrors, shy at this point?

Andrew was undergoing a similar turmoil, though outwardly he appeared serene. He had indeed caught on to her slip of tongue – he would be a poor veteran of the interrogation room if he were not adept at such a basic thing – but the high stakes for his personal happiness made him question his interpretation. Does she mean to imply that she had been worried for my sake in my absence? Dare I continue to hope? Drat, he chastised himself with sudden realization; I am standing here mute like an ungracious fool even after she has opened the conversation.

What do I say? Should I start with the matter closest to my heart? No, I suppose that would scare her away even if she, please the Lord, reciprocates my feelings. So keep it light for the moment, Andrew Reginald, keep it light.

He took a surreptitious deep breath and smiled cheerfully at her, “With so many people intercepting on my behalf with the Almighty, how can I be anything but safe? When we have time,” he changed his voice to a deep-throated and deliberately mysterious tone, “I will tell you tales of the Orient which will fire your imagination and curdle your blood, make your mind soar to the bazaars scented with sandal and turmeric and shy away in horror from the mysterious cults being practiced there. I will bring alive for you the shining arc of a deadly scimitar and the delicate beauty of a young girl’s henna-painted feet; yes Ma’am, I will bring the Orient alive for you.”