4. Ollie

Chapter 4.

Ollie.

You know that moment when your heart stops for a second? And you get that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach when you have no idea what's about to happen? That's how I was feeling...

The heavy rattling of the metal on the hard floor echoed threateningly around the shop, making me freeze on the spot. My hand dove into my pocket automatically and seized my knife, pulling it open into a weapon.

I looked at the girl, Nicole, holding my hand out to her so she stayed where she was. I clasped the handle of the fire exit of the shop, pulling it open quickly and jumping out into the street. I heard footsteps a small distance away and turned to see a figure sprinting along the street, checking over his shoulder.

Without hesitation I found myself rocketing down the street after him, my feet pounding on the dusty surface of the floor. I heard Nicole shouting after me, telling me to stop. I ignored her and soon heard her following behind me.

The figure turned down an alley way and found himself cut off by a three metre tall chain link fence. I tackled him to the ground roughly, hearing him grunt in pain.

Grabbing his shoulder and turning him onto his back, I stared down into the face of a terrified teenager. His eyes were wide in shock and his face had drained of all colour. My hand was gripping his collar tightly, my other fist clenched and raised to punch him. My knife lay forgotten on the floor beside me as Nicole caught up to me, trying to haul me off the boy.

"Ollie! Stop!" She cried, latching on to my wrist, pulling me backwards.

I wrenched my arm from her hands and stood up, lifting the boy up with one arm. "Who are you?" I narrowed my eyes at him. When he didn't answer I shook him harshly, causing him to lash out at me.

His fist caught me on the cheek and I pushed him back against the wall, pinning him by the neck and kneeing him in the stomach. He gasped audibly and kicked at me but I grabbed his leg, twisted it around and dropped him onto the floor again.

"Ollie! Stop! He could have answers!" Nicole's voice was shrill and panicked, filled with desperation.

I let go of his leg hesitantly and stepped back, watching as she knelt beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder. He looked back at her for a second but his wide eyes were fixed on me, waiting for another attack.

Nicole glared up at me, narrowing her eyes quickly but then turned to the boy. "What's your name?" I heard her ask. I picked up my knife from the floor and folded it away, dropping it into my pocket.

"T-Theo Murray..." He replied in a shaken voice. "Where am I? Who are you? Tell me your names!" He stood up, trying to back away from us.

"It's ok. We won't hurt you." Nicole held out her arms, showing she was defenceless. "Well, I won't hurt you. He's a different matter." She gestured towards me, not even looking over at me.

"Tell me your name!" The boy's voice was more urgent now. He'd obviously found some unknown reserve of bravery in the deep depths of his mind.

"Ollie Chase." I said casually and leant back against the wall, looking down at a scab on my knuckle.

"Nicole Paver." She smiled at Theo, her eyes crinkling up around the edges and dimples appearing in her cheeks.

I wasn't too sure how I felt about Nicole. Obviously waking up in a room with a complete stranger is a bit weird. But when they latch onto you and won't go away that's pretty annoying. Now she was looking at me like I was the scum of the earth, just for trying to defend myself. Girls are weird.