10. Theo

Chapter 10.

Theo.

The finding of the letter had raised our spirits. At least we knew there was a way back home, even if it did seem a million miles away. Even Jade was trying to be cheerful.

"Ollie? Is there any food in the kitchen?" I asked, standing up from the seat, wanting to contribute to the group. At the moment it still felt like Ollie and Nicole were doing the most when we should all be pulling our own weight. My head span slightly and I steadied myself against a chair, taking a few deep breaths.

Looking up from the cash register that he was trying to break in to, he nodded silently, holding his hands at each side of the register, trying to shake it slightly, bending down and tilting his head to the side as he listened to the money jingling inside.

Smiling, I walked into the kitchen and began raiding the cupboards and freezers for food. I found an apron and pulled it on, instantly being reminded of the café back home and wondering how my mum would be coping without me. She'd be worried stiff.

Shaking the thought out of my head I pulled some frozen burgers out of the freezer and left them on the side to defrost for a while. I walked over to the serving hatch and poked my head through, looking at the rest of the group. "Who wants a drink that isn't water?".

That instantly perked them up. Nicole stood up from her seat and disappeared down the corridor towards the bathroom but turned off and came into the kitchen, appearing beside me.

"What've you got?" She asked me, raising an eyebrow.

I opened the fridge, showing her the array of fizzy drinks and sodas, letting her choose one out.

"You know how much I've missed this stuff?" She cradled the can of Coca-cola as if it were a small child, never wanting to let it out of her line of sight. Nicole clicked open the top and took a long drink, smiling against the can. As she pulled it away from her lips she let out a quiet burp and laughed, pulling a few more from the fridge.

She stuck her head through the serving hatch, throwing a can to Jade, who caught it smoothly, popping the top open and sipping at it every now and again, savouring the taste.

Meanwhile, Ollie was swearing loudly and throwing punches at the cash register, angry that it wouldn't open. Bringing his hand down on it, the register flew open, hitting him square in the stomach. He doubled over, gasping for breath and coughing hoarsely.

Jade smirked and cracked up laughing, snorting and choking as Coca-cola went up her nose. Her hysterical giggling filled the room, visibly making Ollie more and more furious by the second.

"Think it's funny?" He asked through gritted teeth, glaring at her, a deadly look on his face. Blood dripped from his knuckle after the attack on the cash register, giving him an even more threatening look. It was amazing how suddenly his mood could change.

"Yeah, it's hilarious!" Jade snorted, leaning back on the chair she was sat on and clutching her side.

I pulled off the apron and ran into the room closely followed by Nicole who also sensed something bad was going to happen. As Ollie started to move forwards he was stopped by Nicole, who grabbed his arm and held him back.

"Get off me!" He growled and tried to shake her off, pulling his arm away.

I, however, stood in front of Jade, holding her back incase she made matters any worse. It took all of my strength to keep her from pushing past me and launching herself at Ollie.

Hearing a sound like an oven lighting, I turned to see Ollie's hand had erupted into blazing flames, white hot with power. He advanced towards Jade, pushing Nicole out of the way a lot softer than he would've usually done to anyone else.