Chapter Five - Part ll

China Lake Military Research Facility

Death Valley, California

5 March 2020

            “It was an EMP that took out your convoy, Lieutenant.” Colonel Raymond Fitzgerald said as he led Spinnaker past the concrete barriers and earthworks the Marines had been busy digging all day. “Luckily, we were working on something to shield it so we’re still in contact with Washington.”

            “Good, I’d hate to do something to make things worse,” Spinnaker replied.

            Late last night Spinnaker and a few troopers crossed the fence into the research facility in an attempt to get some answers as to what was going on. Barely five minutes after they crossed Humvees with mounted 50 caliber machine guns surrounded the small detachment of Marines and a full-bird Colonel stepped out demanding what unit they were from and what they were doing there. Spinnaker had heard about the ruthlessness of the perimeter guards at government R&D bases and hoped his men wouldn’t become just another story.

            Thankfully luck was on their side and Col. Fitzgerald believed them, inviting the entire unit into the base. Of course once the platoon was inside the Colonel usurped Spinnakers command and had the Marines begin building in depth fortifications, which meant multiple layers of firing holes and sandbag walls, around the main building. When one looked up, they saw quite a few antennae’s and if you squinted against the afternoon sun you could just barely pick out the barrels of the snipers rifles that were stationed up there.

            When asked about the defenses, Fitzgerald said, “Just a few miles away is the Death Valley Colony. Our radar picked up several dozen drop ships landing just before the EMP shut it all down. Now that it’s back up, no aircraft have been seen since.” The commanding officer of China Lake was worried about the proximity of his facility to the Druidth colony, and for good reason as far as Spinnaker was concerned.

            “Sir,” The Marine Lieutenant asked as they walked through the stuffy building. After the EMP, Fitzgerald ordered all non-essential systems shut down and that included the air-conditioners. “We’re out of Camp Pendleton. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about LA, would you?”

            “No I do not, Lieutenant. I do know that LA was hit hard because of all the military complexes there, but we just don’t rank high enough on the ladder to get information like that,” Fitzgerald answered as he flipped through a report a young signals officer handed him. “Looks like they let the nukes fly at the fleet.”

            “Who did? Us?” Spinnaker asked, even though he was sure the Colonel wasn’t talking to him.

            But the senior man replied anyway, almost as if he was talking to the Marine. “That’s right. ‘Bout time they did something…” He turned back to the officer who had handed him the report, patiently standing there until dismissed. “Radio Washington, tell them we are dug in as best we can but I don’t know how long we can hold.”

            Edward stopped and thought about what he heard. Right now American Nuclear Missiles were streaking toward the small armada in orbit above the Earth and were probably just a few minutes away from exacting a might revenge. Now all that remained was to take care of the colonies that were being used as a forward operating area for the ground troops preparing to, no doubt, wipe out the rest the world’s armed forces; though he didn’t know anything about what was going on elsewhere.

            Just then a hidden horn began to bleat in a two-tone note, yanking Edward from his thoughts. Upon hearing the alarm, most of the bases soldiers, who weren’t proper soldiers but rather researchers given gear belts and guns, began running down the hallway and out the steel doors to the fortifications outside. Spinnaker knew what was happening but wanted to check in with the base commandant before rushing outside himself. He rounded the same corner that Fitzgerald used to walk away from him earlier, his face twisted in a scowl.

            “I knew it, I knew it, I knew it,” He repeated to his adjutant. “Who want the bet?”

            “Uh, I think it was Leigh, Sir.”

            “Good, make sure he gets his reward if he lives through this,” He then saw Spinnaker. “Good timing, Son. Get out there and get your Devil Dogs ready, we’re gonna’ have lots of company before too long.”

            “Yes, Sir,” Spinnaker acknowledged. “What can we expect?” It was always a good idea to have knowledge of your enemy before you encounter them.

“Not really sure,” Fitzgerald replied as he strapped on a handgun belt that his aide handed him. Chances were very good that he would never use it but it probably made him feel closer to his men. “Though we got a report saying that there is a more than good  chance they’ll be using standard kinetic rounds. Bullets to me and you, so make sure your Marines have their vests on.”

“Yes, Sir,” Spinnaker said again as he made his way for the doors. “We’ll make sure to set a nice big table.”