Chapter Nine - Whole

Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

(DARPA)

            Light reflecting off the polished, jet black chest plate resting on the table burned his eyes and made Edward Spinnaker glance away, little discolored orbs remained floating in his vision and he blinked several times trying to clear them. Reaching up he pushed the flexible overhead light away so that it wasn’t directly above the armor, with a disgruntled look from one of the lab techs hovering around. Spinnaker was waiting in silence as the techs continued to take samples and scrape pieces from the composite plating; he smiled at the three bullet holes in a tight group almost directly in the center. Either Blithe or Esposito, no one else was that good of a shot in his old platoon and the sharpshooters carried single shot M-14’s that made a much larger hole.

            “… find another way? All I’m asking is if they really had to shoot such amazing pieces of technology?” A nasally voice inquired from down the hallway, judging from the footsteps getting closer he guessed it was someone complaining to the head researcher about Marines doing what Marines did best.

            The footsteps stopped short just around the corner. “And what did you expect them to do, Tyler? Hug them out of their armor? Defeat them with nice thoughts and kisses?” A woman’s voice berated what Spinnaker assumed was the nasally voices owner. “You’re just going to have to deal with it and work around the damage the best you can.” A single pair of footsteps started walking around the corner, then stopped again. “And be sure to pass the word along that if anyone else comes to me and complains about combat damaged artifacts, I will personally see to them being removed from the project. Am I clear?”

            Softly, Tyler mumbled “Yes,” And walked away.

            Finally, the owner of the pretty voice and footsteps rounded the corner and revealed to Edward her physical form. Skin the color of creamy coffee filled a white lab coat over a blue shirt and beige skirt. “Captain Spinnaker, I’m Dr. Laurie Holdern.” She smiled a glistening smile and held out her hand.

            Stammering, Spinnaker took it and gave it a gentle shake. “Please call me Edward, Doctor.”

            “In that case, Laurie.” She approached the table that held the remains of the armor that one of the Druidth soldiers was wearing during the Battle of China Lake. “And thanks for coming all the way up here on such short notice. It’s not every day we get our requests fulfilled by the State Department.”

            Spinnaker shrugged. “Well, when a three-star General tells you to get to Maryland, somehow even the thought to deny him just refuses to form.”

            “That’s assuming men like you can form thoughts,” The tech that glared at him for moving the lamp muttered under his breath, hoping Spinnaker wouldn’t hear.  Unfortunately for him, years of being around guns did nothing to diminish his perfect hearing and the muscular Marine glared at him this time and smirked as the smaller man shrunk away from the table.