Chapter 3: Jewels

"All right," Ia huffs under her breath after Mayu hands her the last of their bread rolls. She puts it in the bag and ties the string into a knot to close it off. "I think that's it for food supplies."

The group finishes up their final preparations for the journey. Miku looks up from her bag and scans the room of people.

With the nine following Miku in her shadow, she started to feel more secure than afraid of the prophecy. Her friends she counted on the most wouldn't allow her to continue an adventure like this by herself. If Miku was to head out there alone, it was like she was surrendering her life to step up and be the Messiah. If that were to happen, they would never forgive themselves.

So to make sure their journey works out, Miku suggested they'd bring three bags. No more, no less. If they were going to each take their own, she knew they'd all be glutted with the same materials as everyone else. Instead, she decided three people would be the bag carriers for the supplies, except each bag would contain different items.

Miku assigned Ia to be in charge of the first- food. Since she was the main baker and the eldest of the sisters, Miku believed she held more of a responsibility. And if Mayu was going to oppose to this notion, the tealette vowed the two of them to look after it rather than one.

Second was for health, which she proposed Kaito be the leader of. He was cautious and, as one of the oldest of the group, probably the most experienced to take precautions in medical situations.

Last was for practically anything else they thought they'd need (at least, that was Miku's way of viewing it). If there were going to be any steep cliffs, rope would be brought. In case Gumi needed something to keep her busy at stops, a minimum of two books were packed for her. Also, so Miku could refer back to the scroll, she hid it away in that bag she'd taken leadership for. She hadn't quite finished reading the rest of what was written on there and she assumed she could catch up when they took shelter at the end of the day.

"Bandages, ointment, blankets..." Kaito mutters to himself and says, "We're good for health."

"Miku?" Gumi asks approval for her bag.

The tealette rapidly goes over each of the items. "Done for miscellaneous."

"So we ready to go?" Rin smiles, setting her crook to the ground with a plonk.

Miku opens her mouth to reply but something grabs ahold of her wrist. She whips her head around and sees Meiko looking at her genuinely. She turns her direction so that they're facing each other without their attention focused on anything else.

The swordswoman takes Miku's hand and squeezes it between two of hers.

"Miku... for whatever happens from here onward, let us be brave. No matter what goes on on the journey or in the tower, we'll trust and rely on one another through thick and through thin. So, Miku... try as hard as you can out there until you beat your heart out, and go get yourself those blessings... and save this world."

Miku watches Meiko's expression lighten. Although she spots a hint of sorrow in the look she's giving her- that fiery red passion she was so used to seeing, right now it seems like a dying ember. But she reassures herself it was merely a frivolous manner concerned for everyone's safety. Miku nods. She slowly closes her eyes and intakes a deep breath.

This is finally her moment to shine and let the world know she can alter Earth's devastating future for the better. Even if it means leaving the comfort of the village to take a three day hike by foot, so be it.

She reopens her eyes and the whole group is still skirted around them from Meiko's speech.

"I'll do my best," Miku speaks and gestures a hand to the door. "Well, let's get a move on."