Chapter 7: The Brightest Glory

"Is it... really true?"

The crickets are chirping outside with the hot summer bleeding through the open window. Nine friends are gathered together in a small circle, a couple standing, and the rest remaining seated on the wooden floor.

After his question, Len looks over to Meiko with an uneasy expression. She rapidly nods back in a quick way to confirm her previous statement.

She keeps her volume low so that Miku isn't able to hear them from across the room, but loud enough for only Len and the circle of friends to hear. "Yes, I read the scroll when Miku left it and it clearly said that the person who takes the blessing receives a punishment."

"But why would they receive a punishment?" Luka inquires, then logically states, "If the tower is meant for the Messiah to go in with the idea that they'd take the blessing, wouldn't it be reasonable for them to actually obtain the blessing if they're to save the world?"

"It says in one of the middle paragraphs that the Messiah is intended to bring along nine companions, which should make sense since there are nine blessings that the Messiah is 'supposed' to receive. Which I bet the companions are there to take the blessings for the Messiah," Meiko informs. "It said there was a blessing on each floor- excluding the first floor- for a total of nine blessings. The Messiah is to go to the top of the tower and pray forgiveness from God by lighting a fire from the altar."

"Hold on for a second, but specifically what does the scroll mean by 'punishment?'" Rin wonders aloud.

"The last paragraph said 'sacrifice,' so-" Meiko's eyes widen, "... death."

Gakupo shakes his head as he tries to clear up the conversation with their situation. "Wait... nine blessings in the Tower of AI, each on one of nine floors... before the top of the tower? So wouldn't that mean Miku..."

He let's himself pause midsentence and each of the friends turn to the tealette. She's silent, focused on the materials all spread out on the table with the empty, open bag next to the piles of items. She hasn't questioned the group or even mentioned a thing if she was eavesdropping on their conversation, and nor has she said a word right now with their silence. She's too focused on packing for her trip.

"... is going to receive all those punishments?" Gumi softly continues. She leans back on the wooden pole attached to the rooftop and averts her gaze to the floor. She avoids eye contact with the others as she can feel them giving her their attention, one after another. "She wouldn't be able to reach the top if that were to happen. One blessing and..."

"We have to go with her," Kaito interrupts. He starts shaking his head like he's saying they have no other choice. "We must go with her to the tower and get those blessings in her place. We love her, don't we?"

They all quietly nod their heads.

"Then we have to... We have to sacrifice ourselves... No matter what happens out there, whatever happens to her... we must do everything in our power to protect her from those blessings... even if it costs us our own lives."

"But... but-" Rin starts bursting into tears.

"We love her, don't we!?" Kaito erupts.

She flinches, nodding her head as she wipes away tears.

"We must..."

Everyone dares not to speak a word. All of them are gritting their teeth, pondering his idea. Ia even looks like she's about to get teary-eyed, and so does Mayu. Regardless, deep within their hearts, they knew what Kaito was saying was true. They'd do anything for Miku- all for her- and they knew that since they first met her.