KILLING ME SOFTLY - Teenage Assassin - Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9:

ANNABELLE'S POV:

I feel nervous, and that is no way to be feeling in this situation. I need to keep my head straight while on the job. It's just a hard thing to do while Gabriel is around. I can't believe the mistake I almost made. As I see Xavier Sanchez and his entourage pulling in, I am grateful that they came when they did.

I was about to tell Gabriel that I love him. Getting sentimental like that can get someone like me killed. Like Simon has always said, love is a weakness. Love got my parents killed.

What do I know of love anyways? At least the romantic kind. Jackson and I love each other, because we've been all the other had growing up. Sure, Simon raised us, but he never showed us love. He taught us and we respected him. I've never had an example of the type of love that my parents had. I was only a toddler when they died.

Gabriel grabs my hand as the security men get out of the Escalades. Two men come to and open the limo door. Out steps my target, Xavier Sanchez. He is wearing an expensive suit and smiles at Gabriel when he sees him.

Gabriel lets go of my hand and hugs his father. Xavier says, "I've missed you, son" So he's a good father, if a little absentee, doesn't make up for being a criminal.

Gabriel steps back to where I'm standing and puts an arm around my waist, "Dad, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Anna."

Xavier raises his eyebrows, still smiling. "Yes, your mother told me that you had a beautiful girlfriend. I can see that she didn't exaggerate." Creep.

I put on a fake smile and tell Xavier, "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Sanchez."

"Call me Xavier, sweetheart," he pulls me in for a hug. Creep.

Xavier pulls back from hugging me and I keep on the fake smile, "Okay, Xavier." I step back to Gabriel and he puts his arm around my waist again. All of a sudden, blonde hair whizzes past us and Gabriel's mom is embracing his dad.

When they kiss, Gabriel rolls his eyes, "Let's get out of here before I'm traumatized." Once we get into the house, Gabriel grabs my hand and drags me upstairs.

"Where are we going?" I ask, even though I already know.

"The party is starting soon and I don't know when I'll get you to myself again," he says. "After we make an appearance at my parents' party, I was thinking that we could go out and have some real fun."

"Sounds good to me," I say. Although, that's not going to happen, I think to myself. I'm going to kill your father and you'll be too busy with your pain to go out afterwards. I'm not sorry about having to kill his dad. It has to be done and if I don't do it, someone else will. I am sorry for the pain it will cause Gabriel.

For some reason I have the ridiculous urge to cry. I never cry over a kill. No, I know the reason. Gabriel said that he doesn't know the next time we'll have alone time together, but I know all too well that this may be the last time.

Two hours later, the party is in full swing. Gabriel's parents are dressed up in civil war era costumes. His dad even has a sword strapped to his side. Gabriel is taking me around and introducing me to all of his parents' friends and family. I am again wearing a fake smile. No one can blame me for it this time. I even meet Max's mom, Lucy.

Gabriel goes to get something for us to drink and Max walks over to me. He is wearing a vampire costume. "So, what are you supposed to be Anna, besides beautiful? A dark angel?"

I grin at him, "A fallen angel." I point over to where Gabriel is on the other side of the room, "I sold my soul to the devil."

He follows my gesture, "He's a devil alright. When are you going to realize your mistake and dump him for me?"