Chapter 10 - She's Not your Mother

[NOT EDITED]

Katherine's POV

I walked out of the car and entered the building , Ashton probably following behind.

But my mind was too busy to even notice. I was still trying to register every word i've heard there.

Trying to figure a way to tell him the truth.

I chewed my lip nervously, and anxiety started taking me over.

I felt myself crashing into something, or more like someone . I directly lifted my eyes up and saw an old man , probably in his sixties.

"I am so sorry." I directly said , apologizing for not paying much attention.

"It's okay dear." He said with a big warm smile exposing the wrinkles on his face even more.

"Hey Ash boy." He averted his gaze and said to Ashton , who was now standing beside me.

"Hey Mr. Smith." Ashton replied giving the man a polite smile before placing his hand behind my back, then he walked us toward the elevator.

His hand was still on my back even after we stepped in, i can feel its warmth from above the fabric.

Feeling the need to be in his embrace for a moment , i leaned closer to him , placing my head lightly on his chest.

He tightened his hold around my waist as if pulling me closer to him.

"I am sorry about what happened today." He said , probably referring to the way his father talked to me.

I shook my head unable to talk or reply back. He doesn't know that what's bothering me is not what his father said about me.

What's bothering me is what he said about him..

And the problem is I don't know if i'll be able to tell Ashton.

How i am going to start such a conversation, how is he going to accept it ?

What if he went crazy and did something ?

The ding voice due to the elevator arrival jerked me from the trail of questions roaming my mind.

Ashton typed the security code to open the penthouse door, while i zoned out again still thinking about what happened.

"Katherine." I felt a hand on my shoulder jerking me
Back to reality , "Huh ?" I said looking at Ashton.

"Come in." He said ushering me inside , looking at me with a questioning look.

I went inside and directly sat on the couch feeling tired both physically and mentally.

I was looking at my hands in my lap thinking of a proper way to start talking when i felt Ashton's hand on my chin , he lifted it up so i can meet his eyes as he was kneeling in front of me.

"Are you okay ? " He asked and i just nodded.

But he didn't seem to buy my lie , "Katherine, what's wrong?" He asked again looking at me with worried eyes.

I chewed my lip nervously averting my gaze away , because looking at his eyes for too long makes me weak.

He placed his finger on my bottom lip freeing it from my teeth because of how hard i was pressing over it, "You're making me worried, tell me what's wrong ?"

I ignored the effect his light touch did to me as i tried to compose myself, " I have to tell you something."

He nodded , ushering me to continue, "But first come sit here." I said pointing to the couch beside me, "And you have to promise me that you will stay calm and you won't do anything crazy."