31: Cupcakes, Kisses, & Harry Styles

—Amber—

When I woke up the next morning, I noticed that my pillow was gone. When I refer to my pillow, I mean Harry. In his place was a single note written in his familiar, messy handwriting. I yawn, stretching as I sit up in my seat. My back was hurting, but I ignored it. I take Harry's note between my fingers, reading it over.

Amber – I went out. Sorry for not waking you. You look cute when you sleep. I know I promised I'd stay with you, but this was really important. It doesn't mean I broke my promise. Flip the paper over.

I do as told, flipping over the small piece of paper. My lips curve into a smile. On the back, Harry had drawn a really horrible stick figure with equally horrible curly hair. Though art wasn't his area of expertise, it was absolutely adorable. Beneath it were more scribbled words

Now I'm always with you. Harry birthday! -Harry

My stomach flip-flops. It was too cute. Harry was too cute. I don't know what I was going to do with that boy. I was beginning to owe him so much.

I neatly fold up the piece of paper and tuck into my pocket, never wanting to lose it. Running my fingers through my hair, I exit the waiting room. Hopefully my father was up. I wanted to talk to him. What about? No clue. I just wanted to hear his voice; to confirm that he really was awake and with me.

"Honey?" My mother's voice startles me. She peers her head through the waiting room's door, pushing the door open further once she realizes I'm awake.

"Yeah?" I answer.

"Just checking in on you," She says. "Your father's still sleeping, but he should be awake soon. Why don't we go down to the cafeteria for some breakfast in the meantime?" As if on cue, my stomach growls.

"Ok." I nod, not caring that my hair probably looked a mess or that my face screamed the word zombie. I followed my mum out the door. It felt so nice to be back in Holmes Chapel. Though the hospital wasn't my idea of 'home', my parents were.

"Happy birthday,” My mother smiles, slowing down so she was walking alongside me, "You didn't think I forgot, did you?"

"Honestly, Mum." I chuckle. "It slipped mind."

"Like always," Mum shakes her head. "Some things never change."

"That's what Dad said." I tell her, a bit of a smile appearing on my lips. Mum only continues to smile and it's only now that I realize we were standing in front of the cafeteria doors. She pulls them open and motions me inside. There weren't many people; only the workers and one or two guests. It was actually quite empty. I couldn't distinguish the smell of food either. It just smelled like the rest of the hospital.

"What would you like?" Mother asks as we approach the cashier. The lady smiles at us and waits. I scan over the menu up top, seeing there wasn't much I labeled as breakfast. In the end, I decided on a chocolate chip muffin and a small bottle of chocolate milk. Though it wasn't much, it was enough to fill my empty stomach.

My mother only orders coffee before we find a seat. Silence drifts between us as she sips her coffee and I struggle to open my muffin.

"He's a nice boy." My mother speaks up suddenly. I look up from my muffin, Harry's face popping up in my mind.

"Yeah?"

Mum nods. "I met him earlier this morning. He's a charming lad; seemed a bit familiar too."

I clear my throat, avoiding the fact that Harry was our neighbor seven years ago. "He's in a band."

"Ah," Mum taps her finger on the table. "That must be why."