40: Endings, Beginnings, & Harry Styles

—Amber—

"Harry?"

My heart was pounding rapidly. I can feel the rush of returning emotions between us. I almost forget about my dropped coffee cup as I stare into his green eyes, remembering how strong the urge to kiss him was when I did that; how he would look at me intently with such love interest. His curls were flopping lazily over his forehead, reminding me of how much I'd grown to love them. I had to blink twice and make sure that it was indeed Harry who was standing right in front of me. I don't think either of us knew what to say. Surprisingly, the silence was calm. It wasn't deafening. It wasn't awkward. It was relaxed. It made it easier for me to bring up the courage to speak first.

"How are you?" I spit out, my breath visible in the cold air. As he speaks, his familiar voice sends shivers throughout my body.

"Brilliant." He says. I couldn't tell if he was lying or not, but a part of me told me he has been a lot better. "How about you?"

"Brilliant." I reply the same, unable to look away from him. "Brilliant..." We continue to stare, the calm silence once again making its way between us. Harry's hands are shoved in the pocket of his trousers, the faintest of smiles barely visible on his perfect lips. I bite my lip, struggling to tear my eyes away from him. When I manage to, I begin to kneel down to pick up my now-empty coffee cup, but Harry beats me to it.

"I've got it." Harry takes it in his large hand before standing back up. He motions past me. "I think I owe you another coffee."

I shake my head, waving off his idea. "No, no. It's not your fault. You don't have-"

"Amber." He smirks, an amused glint in his eyes. "Please. I want too. Walk with me?" I hesitate, about to open my lips and protest but end up pursing them instead. Giving in, I drop my hands to my sides and he motions for us start walking. Harry smiles sheepishly at the sidewalk as we do, glancing at me a few times from the corner of his eye. Passing a trashcan, Harry tosses my coffee cup into it before we continue walking. I find myself looking away from him, taking in the surroundings. There wasn't a topic I was brave enough to bring up. What did this mean for us? He was just buying me another cup of coffee. That's all, right? The simple thought brought on a sense of deja-vu. Maybe it wasn't it. Maybe there was more.

Harry comes to a stop. I'm about to ask why, but then I see the familiar front door of the shop right in front of me. Oh.

Harry reaches for the handle and pulls the door open, allowing me to step inside. The cashier - Ella- raises an eyebrow in my direction, probably wondering why I was back, this time with a boy. Harry approaches the counter, flashing Ella a polite smile and tilting his head toward me.

"What-" He starts to ask but I cut him off, turning to Ella.

"The usual." I inform her. Harry chuckles to himself, facing the counter once more.

"How about you?" Ella asks him, already beginning to fix up my coffee. Harry glances at the menu, his forehead scrunching up. After a few seconds pass, he points to a certain item on the menu. "I'll have some Yorkshire tea."

Ella nods, turning away to finish my order and make Harry's tea. Harry leans against the counter, folding his hands together and simply staring at me.

"What?" I blurt out before I can catch myself, quickly regretting it. Harry's amused, but all he does is shrug.

"Here you are." Ella places my coffee and Harry's tea on the counter. "That will be seven pounds." Nodding, Harry reaches into his back pocket for the money. I turn away, walking over and taking my usual seat beside the window. Once he's done paying, Harry comes and joins me, handing me my coffee. After a few sips, I decide to start up a conversation. The silence was getting us nowhere.