Chapter 13

Pic of Thea Woods above

//EDITED//

The heavy footsteps and shouting decrease as I run for my life down the empty streets of New York. I take crazy turns and routes to throw them off my trail, and I guess it's working.

The perks of living in NYC for most my life.

I stop near a bus station to catch my breath and come up with a plan. Walker knows who I am, where I live, and where I work. I can't go back to the apartment nor can I go back to the office. Going to the police is my best option, but I don't want to—not tonight at least. I will go tomorrow morning and tell the officers everything, but that still leaves another question unanswered.

************

I raise my hand and knock on the cold wooden door.

I hope he's here.

He better be here.

Before I enter the apartment complex, I debate whether I should go in or not. I mean, I look like I have been a part of some kind of war. My hair and my clothes are not in good condition. I have cuts and bruises all over my body, and blood stains. Finally, I get over it and walk inside. Thankfully, the only person there is the receptionist and security guard, and they are fast asleep.

Now, here I am, looking for the only person I can ask for help. After a few minutes, the door swings open. In front of me stands my colleague and best friend, Mike. From the messy hair, dazed eyes, crumpled sweats, and lack of shirt, I can tell I woke him from his beauty sleep.

"Look, kids, I already told you I didn't run over your darn cat. It was simply in the way of—"

He stops talking and looks at me with squinted eyes.

"Oh shit, I totally forgot!"

He runs back inside and leaves the door open with me still standing here, confused.

Okay then?

Mike comes back with half a chocolate bar and an apple. He hands it to me and I accept it, still confused.

I think he's lost it.

"Okay, well, nice costume and Happy Halloween." He says, and shuts the door in my face.

Firstly, Halloween isn't for a couple of weeks.

And secondly, who the fuck gives a half-eaten chocolate bar and an apple to a kid?!

Pissed off, I knock the door again, this time using more force. Once again, Mike opens the door but he now has a pissed off expression just like mine.

"What the hell do you want dude?!"

"The last time I checked, I was not a dude—and who the hell gives this shit to little kids?!"

Mike stares at me for a long time, and then his eyes dilate with recognition. Guess the idiot has figured it out. He continues to stare at me, making me feel slightly uncomfortable. Then he slowly walks forward and pokes me in the face once, then starts poking my sides.

"What the hell Mike?! Have you gone insane?"

"Thea!" Mike yelles.

His arms fly around me and he hugs me like his life depends on it. I awkwardly pat his back.

"You're alive!!"

"Eh, that could change at any moment if you don't release me" I say, struggling to breathe.

Blood is pouring out of my new wounds, and my head is spinning, making everything a blur.

"Oh my God Thea! You're bleeding!"