Chapter 4

Being lost in your own mind wasn't too far from swimming in the deep side of the pool, and, right when you're about to drown and loose your balance, you somehow manage to fix it.

Scarlett wasn't sure if she'd be able to fix it this time. It's been a couple days since she was last in reality, and Madam Pomfrey was making her try again.

"Scarlett, if you can't put a skirt on, then I might have to just give up on you." Madam Pomfrey said, sounding torn up over the fact.

The thought of being left behind quickly snapped Scarlett into motion. She grabbed the skirt, went into the bathroom, and put it on all on her own.

She hadn't felt so proud of herself in months.

(It's been two months since the start of the school year, and they had like two months off for summer)

*~*~*

The next task Madam Pomfrey gave Scarlett was to pick out a shirt that matched her skirt.

Exhausted from the previous day's activities, she was quickly back into her head. She had no idea how long this would continue to carry on. She didn't want to be stuck in her own mind, but she couldn't stop it.

"Scarlett," Madam Pomfrey cried, wiping a few tears away "don't you dare die on me, I won't have a patient die."

Scarlett whimpered as she felt herself slowly resurfacing from her near drowning.

"Madam Pomfrey," she breathed, "I did it."

To say the least, Madam Pomfrey was surprised that Scarlett had been able to return so quickly. Although it wasn't for long, it was still progress.

Progress was what was really needed right now.

*~*~*

Over the course of the next few days, Scarlett appeared to slowly be getting better. Madam Pomfrey found herself knowing more about the girl then she ever had before.

On this particular day, though, it seemed all progress had been lost when he walked through the door.

Scarlett had been in the bathroom, getting dressed on her own and brushing her short hair. When she walked out, she hadn't been expecting him.

"Scarlett," he whispered, "you're back."

She stared at Sirius, and felt them clawing at her. They wanted her back, and they weren't letting go without a fight.

Of course, this was a fight she had been fighting since day one. But when she saw Sirius, she let her guard down. She was too distracted to realize that they had a better grip on her now.

"Scarlett, no, stay here," Madam Pomfrey said frantically, running over to her.

Scarlett started to hyperventilate, not being able to take them on. She couldn't. Not now, and not ever. Especially with him in the room.

Madam Pomfrey got Sirius out quickly, and Scarlett realized what had happened. She closed her eyes and ignored everything around her, focusing on escaping their grasp.

She just barely made it out.

She knew next time she would not be so fortunate.

*~*~*

Scarlett had begun to get back into routine, brushing her teeth, picking out outfits, brushing her hair, etc. Today, she decided she wanted to try something new with her hair. She left the bathroom and found her bag of stuff that Madam Pomfrey had brought her from the dorm, when it became clear that Scarlett wasn't leaving any time soon.

She grabbed the curling iron and went back into the bathroom, curling the ends of her short hair.

Unable to decide whether she liked it or not, she shrugged and went to sit on her hospital bed.

"Scarlett! I have good news."

Madam Pomfrey came into the room, and smiled slightly at the girl.

"Dumbledore has approved you to start taking classes again."

Scarlett frowned slightly. She didn't know what would happen if she saw Sirius again, or if he tried to talk to her.

"He made it clear to Sirius that he wasn't to approach you until we were sure you could handle it," she added.

Scarlett grinned and stood up. She hadn't been talking much, unless she felt comfortable.

"He says if you're ready you can start today."

Scarlett nodded and began to walk out of the hospital wing for the first time since school started.

"Be careful, Scarlett, okay?"

Scarlett nodded to her and left.

She walked down the halls to find what her first class would've been two months ago, and came to the conclusion that transfiguration would be correct, due to the amount of Gryffindors in the room.

She opened the door and peeked in. All eyes landed on her. Everyone gasped and began whispering.

"I thought she was dead?"

"I thought she was in a physc ward or something!"

Scarlett rolled her eyes and went up to Professor McGonagall.

"Dumbledore has allowed me to begin classes again," she said.

McGonagall, still looking shocked, nodded stiffly. Scarlett sat in the back of the class with a small smile on her face. She knew she could make it through today.

*~*~*