call #32

"long time no talk," she says, answering her phone with a smile on her lips.

he laughs. "i know you've been busy. wanted to give you some time to get things sorted out for your trip."

"how considerate of you. three weeks without contact," she whistles, "i was starting to get worried that you were mad at me."

"nah, i couldn't be mad at you even if i wanted to be." he pauses. "so are you excited for your trip? only a couple days left."

"i'm really excited. i'm a little nervous to leave chris and zoe behind."

"you deserve a break. enjoy it."

she sighs. "yeah, i know."

"i guess this means no melting pot date before you leave?" he laughs dryly.

"i'm sorry, evan. i've just been so busy."

"it's okay. not a big deal."

she stays silent for a moment, her guilt getting the best of her.

"really, tee. it's all right. i get it."

"when i get back i promise i'll meet you."

"you don't have to," he mumbles.

"i want to."

his lips twitch into a small smile as he quietly says, "okay."

"in a month then."

"a month. you know what i just realized?"

"what?"

"i've never even seen a picture of you." he laughs.

she laughs too. "oh, wow. i'd never even thought about it before. should we send each other pictures?"

he pauses to think. "no. it'll be a surprise."

"a surprise?" her tone is laced with amusement. "okay. how will i know it's you?"

"we'll know."

"mysterious. can i at least have a hint?"

"mm," he hums. "i have dark hair."

"great hint. thanks. so helpful."

"what's my hint?" he asks with a laugh.

"i have eyeballs. crazy, i know. it should be pretty easy to spot me."

a boisterous laugh passes his lips. "i just feel like we'll know when we see each other."

"how romantic of you to assume. and if i walk up to another hot brunette that is not you, then what?"

"you think i'm hot?"

"i don't know what you look like. that's my point."

"we'll just see what happens. maybe i'll wear my shrek daddy t-shirt."

"you do not have a shrek daddy t-shirt."

"i said maybe, tee."

she laughs. "i'm praying that you don't. that might be the end of the line for us if you show up wearing a shrek shirt."

an exaggerated sigh leaves his mouth. "fine. i won't wear it."

"good."

"so you probably won't be able to talk in europe then i assume? data charges and all that shit?"

"yeah." her voice sounds sad but she quickly covers it up. "but i can text you when i'm on wi-fi."

"don't feel pressured to or anything."

she laughs. "again, i want to."

"okay, good. because i want you to."

he hears the familiar phone ring on her end of the line and the smile on his lips fades instantly, knowing exactly why the phone is ringing.

"duty calls," she says dryly.

jealousy bubbles up inside him at the thought of teagan talking to other men on the phone, but he pushes it aside. this is what she does. he's known it from the start and he knows that she can't quit it now just because they've developed feelings for each other. this is her job.

"have a safe flight," he says, his smile briefly returning to his lips. "i'll talk to you soon."

"bye, evan. we'll speak soon!"