Chapter 15.

"Sebastian..."

Ciel was sat on the edge of his bed, obviously tired but, even so, his brain seemed to be working overtime. Sebastian could tell he was thinking about something. Three weeks had passed since they had both confessed their love for one another in words, and everything had gone rather smoothly since then.

"Yes, My Lord?"

The Earl paused, searching for the right words before he spoke.

"I know that, one day, it is inevitable that you will take my soul. Once the terms of our contract are fulfilled and those who murdered my parents have been killed, my soul is yours to consume. Even so, I cannot help but wonder... What happens? What will happen when you take my soul? Is it really as simple as me suffering death and being sent to hell? I find that hard to believe; there must be more to it than that."

At that the demon stopped to look at the boy before him, genuinely surprised he would ask such questions. In truth, for weeks now the thought of consuming his master's soul had almost been pushed out of his mind, and at the thought of killing the only person he had ever loved the butler was wracked with guilt.

"M-My Lord... I am not sure you want to hear the answer to that question..."

He replied quietly, his gaze directed towards the carpet while he spoke. After a moment of silence the Earl responded.

"You only need to discuss this if you wish to, Sebastian."

He said simply, and the butler merely nodded.

"Thank you, Master..."

"Ordinarily I would likely answer that question, however... Given recent events I no longer believe I am able to."

Ciel nodded and moved over to the pillow so he could slip under the covers.

"Very well. I shall see you in the morning."

He said, stifling a yawn with the back of his hand. That managed to wring a small smile out of the demon as he stepped to his master's bedside, leaning down to kiss him softly on the lips.

"Goodnight, My Lord. Sleep well."

He murmured, picking up the candelabra and leaving the room as the boy's mismatched eyes drifted closed.

*****

Sebastian made his way down the corridor, but after a few minutes of silent walking he stepped out of an open window and leapt up to the roof. The candles were blown out by the chilly night air but he seemed not to mind, settling perched atop the stone for a few minutes of quiet reflection.

Could I bring myself to do it? I haven't given this subject much thought in weeks... There was once a time I would have been able to answer that question in an instant, but now I'm not so sure. To kill my master... I cannot break the terms of the contract. But neither can I deny him what he truly wants... What am I to do?

The butler's mind was in utter turmoil as he wrestled with his emotions. He had no idea whether when the time came, he would be able to bring himself to kill the one he held dearest. But the contract was binding; if he was ordered to abide by its terms he would have no choice. He had no way to resolve his quandary at the moment, so he would have to wait.

*****

"My Lord? It is time for you to wake up."

The butler brushed his lips lightly over those of his master before opening the curtains and allowing daylight to fill the room.

"Mmf..."

With a groan the boy pushed himself up off of the pillow, reaching out as he was handed his morning tea.

"Good morning, Master. You slept well?"

With a wide yawn Ciel nodded, his hair sticking up in all directions as he sipped at his tea. Sebastian chuckled quietly as he got fresh clothes out of the wardrobe.

"What do I have on my schedule Sebastian?"

The butler spoke as he laid his master's outfit out on the chair.

"This morning there is nothing but paperwork that needs doing, and this afternoon Miss Nina Hopkins will be arriving to tailor a new suit for you, Sir. It is for the charity gala ball this weekend."

At the mention of the eccentric tailoress and a ball he needed to attend the Earl groaned again and closed his eyes.

"I'd forgotten about that... It's the one for the orphanage, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Please tell me that cursed Viscount isn't attending."

"No, My Lord. To the extent of my knowledge he declined the invitation on the grounds that he had other business to attend to."

The boy sighed with relief and sat on the edge of the bed so Sebastian could dress him.

"Well that's one upside, I suppose."

He mumbled, watching his butler with sparkling bicoloured eyes as he buttoned up his crisp shirt.

"Sebastian... Have you any hobbies or pastimes?"

The sudden question caught the demon off guard, and he looked up with one button still only halfway through the hole.

"Whatever could you mean, My Lord?"

He replied, puzzled. No one had ever asked him about his personal life before.

"I said; have you any hobbies or pastimes? Even demons must have something they enjoy. Other than taking human souls, that is. For example, I enjoy reading. Finny likes being outside. Elizabeth loves to go shopping. What do you enjoy?"

Sebastian remained silent. He had never really given much thought to the subject, being as the only thing he had ever enjoyed was forming contracts with humans. He couldn't remember the last time he ever liked doing anything else.

"I don't know... I haven't ever given it any thought. Besides, in my current position I am a servant. Hobbies have no place in that role."

Ciel looked down at his butler with half lidded eyes.

"You know I don't think of you as just a servant anymore, Sebastian. I know you like cats... As much as I hate the things because of my allergy... I suppose you can keep on or two in the servant's quarters. On the condition they never come anywhere near me and you keep the hair to a minimum."

The demon's crimson eyed lit up at his master's words, and a soft smile spread across his face.

"Master, do you mean that? Can I really keep cats in the manor?"

The Earl sighed quietly but smiled nonetheless.

"Yes. Just make sure they don't set off my allergy. If it will make you happy then you can have a couple of them."

Without hesitation the butler leaned forwards and embraced his master, genuinely touched by his words.

"Thank you, My Lord... Thank you."

Ciel wrapped his arms around Sebastian, burying his face in his hair and breathing in the sweet scent of his butler, protector and now lover.

"You're welcome, Sebastian."