Chapter 11: Shopping Like a Family

I guess you can say I’m having a hard time thinking of a prank to get back at Grayson. It’s Friday and I still don’t have an idea. I’ve asked Sandra and Lola for help but all of their suggestions include me kissing Grayson again; so as you can see, they’re no help at all.

I sat at a random table, bored, while Grayson helped Terry and his friends with their homework. Surprisingly, Terry was behaving like an angel. That makes me wonder if Terry just doesn’t like me. Whenever I would try and help him, he’d ignore my presence altogether or disrespect me. I wonder if Grayson threatens him.

The middle school girls aren’t here today because they had a field trip to a pumpkin field for the upcoming holiday: Halloween. Speaking of Halloween, the masquerade party is tomorrow and I’m totally unprepared. I mean, I have my dress and mask and such but I’m not mentally prepared.

My dress doesn’t look good on me. Lola and Sandra look amazing in their dresses while I look like a guy who should be yelling "Toga" while running around in a white sheet (even though my dress is black). I looked at the clock. It’s only 4:30 PM and this shift doesn’t end until 7. The elementary school kids are leaving at 6 o’clock today, though. Or is it 5? I didn’t really pay much attention because I don’t have to deal with them anymore, thankfully.

I decided to go upstairs and rest on the couch. I haven’t been getting much sleep lately; maybe it's because my bed isn’t comfortable enough or maybe it's because I can’t think of a way to get back at Grayson. I’m betting on the latter but either way, I’m exhausted. I stretched out on the couch, huddling towards the back of it. The warmth of the vents settled me. My breathing slowed as I quickly fell asleep.

~~~

“Audrey,” someone whispered.

“Wake her up," another voice muttered.

I heard someone scoff. “No, just leave her here to rot in the dark,” that was definitely Grayson.

“Don’t be mean. She’s a girl,” I think that’s Carson.

“A stupid, obnoxious girl,” and we’re back to Grayson.

“We can’t just leave her here,” give it to Kyle to be the sensible one.

“She’ll probably get hungry and fall down the stairs,” Carson explained.

“How will her hunger cause her to fall down the stairs?” Shane asked.

Carson made a noise that represented the words ‘duh.’ “She’ll go on a rampage for food.”

“There’s food in the employee lounge,” Grayson snapped.

“Untwist your knickers and wake her up,” Kyle muttered.

Grayson snorted. “Why would she want to wake up to my face?”

You’re right on that one. “Just do it!”

“Okay, Nike,” Grayson responded sarcastically. I felt his presence as he hovered over me. I was in the state where I’m conscious but not fully awake.  “Wake up!”

I immediately sat up, extending my fist and hitting Grayson in the face accidentally. Who knows if it was an accident or not? I wasn’t conscious. “Ow! You hit like a man!”

The guys laughed as I slowly raised my legs to my chest and rested my head on them. I was dizzy from sitting up so quickly. Carson quickly spoke. “That’s called a hangover, Audrey.”

“What are you talking about, you moron? She’s not even drunk,” Kyle retorted to his brother. “Wait...you’re not drunk, right Audrey?”

“Of course I’m not drunk,” I muttered as I swung my legs over the side of the couch, rubbing my eyes tiredly. I ran my hands through my pony tail and patted down my hair that was standing up messily on my head. I’m glad I didn’t wear makeup or else it’d be smeared everywhere. “What time is it?”