Chapter 17: Grayson Intolerant

I hate myself. I hate myself so much. I glared at myself in the mirror before slumping down onto my bed. How could I have a crush on Grayson Carter? It doesn’t mean that I like him, right? I mean, I haven’t even known him long enough to develop a crush on him! Of course, I’ve been around him but I haven’t known him. We’ve only been working together for about a month now and I’m already crushing on him? This needs to stop and it needs to stop now.

I approached my mom as she stood in front of the stove, humming. She glanced at me and offered me a sweet smile. “Hey, honey, what’s going on?”

“Mom, why is it that we like people that we really don’t like?” I asked her curiously. She furrowed her eyebrows as she opened the oven and took out the casserole. Sliding off her oven mitts and sitting down on the stool across from me, she gave me a confused look.

“What do you mean?” she questioned.

I sighed, placing my hand on my cheek. “Why is it that we have crushes on people that we hate?”

My mother laughed. “I’m pretty sure you’re the only one experiencing that problem. Are you sure you hate the person?”

“I hate almost everything about him,” I snapped almost immediately. I gave my mom an apologetic look but she didn’t look affected by my slight outburst.

“Like what?” she asked.

“I hate how he’s perfect. I mean, he plays sports; he’s smart; and he excels in almost everything- relationships included.” I didn’t bothering telling her that her best friend’s son is considered a mini player. I don’t think that’d go over well with Emily and it’d make Grayson hate me even more. He already isn’t talking to me.

My mother sighed. “What else makes him so perfect?”

I frowned. “He sings amazingly; he dances pretty well too; he’s funny; he’s kind when he wants to be; he has pretty cool friends; he’s cute; he's popular, he’s just so perfect. I don’t like him, but then again I do.”

“You have a crush on this boy?” she asked, her eyebrows rising.

I sighed, slumping down and resting my head on my entwined arms, nodding my head. “Unfortunately, hopefully, it’ll blow over. We haven’t been talking as much anymore though, so I think some time apart will help me sort out my confused feelings.”

“May I ask who this boy is?” I internally groaned. Of course she’d want to know who this boy is.

I shook my head. “You don’t know him.”

“Well, tell me about him so you can introduce me to him,” she guided. I shook my head again.

“We’re not talking anymore, so an introduction isn’t really necessary,” I explained.

“Is it Grayson?” My lips parted slightly at her realization. When she saw my expression, she laughed. “You’ve always had a thing for that boy.”

“Yeah, it’s always been hate,” I muttered under my breath. Now seven people know.

“Don’t you remember when you came to me crying because you didn’t know why he didn’t want to talk to you? You were a mess. You said that he likes his Gameboy more than you," she laughed at me as I glared at her, cringing.

“I was, like, seven, mom," I informed her. “Besides, I didn’t know what hate was but I’m pretty sure it was there then, too.”

“Do you also remember when you told me that Grayson was so cute? As in 'cuter-than-Jesse-McCartney' cute?” She asked.