Chapter Five

The following day, I was curled up on the couch in my blanket while the steady hum from the upstairs shower resounded quietly, its noise carrying downstairs where I happened to be, vaguely paying attention to a Christmas film playing on TV. By now it was Saturday, and Christmas was three days away. I hadn’t spoken to my mom again since last night, and this morning I woke up feeling quite isolated. Things were not looking up.

               However, Noel and I made a pact to stay positive and focus on the good in the situation, and I refused to complain. Even though the craving to see my family seemed to only intensify with each passing moment, I couldn’t let myself feel depressed over the situation, which would be unfair to Noel. No, we were in this together now; a team of sorts. Since we were both left without family, we had to rely on the next best thing: each other.

               There was no mention of what happened—or almost happed, I should say—last night, though Noel had been really quiet after the incident. I fell asleep dreaming of dancing alongside Noel under the mistletoe and woke up this morning with the firm conclusion that I needed to stop thinking about it. While last night the idea of me liking Noel didn’t seem far off, I woke up this morning with a fresh outlook on the situation and decided that I had only been momentarily tricked into thinking I liked Noel. Of course I didn’t like him. We were opposites. People who were opposites didn’t like each other. The saying that “opposites attract” didn’t apply in situations like these.

               Although that dance sure was fun.

               I got up from my place on the couch and went to the bathroom to access my reflection. I wasn’t really sure why I felt like I needed to look good considering Noel was the only person I was going to see, but I did. I leaned forward and studied my face, critiquing every minor flaw that my eyes instantly seemed to be drawn to. Though I wasn’t much of a makeup wearer, I did usually wear at least a tinted moisturizer, mascara, and maybe a little blush or eye shadow. Today my face looked painstakingly plain.

               I briefly wondered if any other girl in our grade was put in my shoes, whether or not they would wear makeup around the house with Noel. I didn’t know how I was supposed to handle that. Any of it. I had fallen asleep in the leggings and sweatshirt from last night and desperately needed to change, but Noel would be getting out of the shower any second and then it wouldn’t take long until he’d come down the stairs, and I had a suspicion that he wouldn’t like it if I just suddenly wasn’t here, even though he swore up and down that I was allowed to do whatever I wanted.

               Although the idea sounded ridiculous out loud, in my head I wondered if maybe Noel really did enjoy my presence so much that he didn’t want me to leave. Although the likelihood of that being true wasn’t very significant, it was a flattering thought all the same.

               The sound of footsteps upstairs filled my ears, which signified that Noel had gotten out of his shower. I inspected my nails with faux interest just so I had something to occupy my mind. There was no denying that I was getting more entertainment with Noel than I would be if I was just alone at my own house, but my mind was starting to get restless. While most teenagers were perfectly contented in chilling on the couch not doing anything all day, which I liked to do from time-to-time, the kid in me always wanted to indulge in productive activities of some sort.

               I needed to do something. I had been sitting on the couch staring into space for over an hour now, and I was about to go crazy from the effects of extreme boredom. How was it three days before Christmas and I had nothing to do? It was prime time to go out and experience the joys and excitement that was associated with Christmastime.