Chapter Fourteen - Life and Death and Life

Chapter Fourteen

                                                         Life and Death and Life

I was just beginning to compose myself when I entered the main room. It was just as packed as before, only there were louder voices. Everyone was over the shock of holograms of the dead. It was still boggling to see so many images around the room. I weaved through the people until I found my own mother, who sat at our table with Daniel bouncing in her lap.

“There you are!” she exclaimed through the loud voices in the room.

I took a seat next to her and reached out to take Daniel. “The Keepers sought me out.”

Her eyes widened in surprise. “What could they have wanted now?”

I ran my fingers through Daniel’s black hair and smiled. It was just like Jack’s. “I’ll explain later. I’m about ready to leave.”

She looked concerned, but said nothing more.

Daniel’s cheeks were bright red from how chilly the room was. They needed to turn up the heat in here. I reached over my plate and grabbed a roll, handing to his little hands. He usually just picked at them and soaked them with drool. “Have you seen Jack around here?”

Mom was sipping on some wine with her eyes on one of the images just inches from our table. “I saw him about five minutes ago. He stopped by and asked if I knew where you were. I think he might be looking for you out in the hallway or something…” She looked up from her glass and gave me this strange look. “Did you two have a fight…?”

I sighed and looked over at the image of Jack’s father. After hearing how much he adored his wife, I saw him differently. “It was my fault. I tried to make him see his father when he wasn’t ready.”

Mom followed my gaze until her eyes landed on Gordon. “That’s his father?”

I gave a nod.

“Looks just like him… He, um, killed himself, didn’t he?” she asked uncomfortably.

“When Jack was just a kid. The news about his wife was just too much.”

She peered at the image sadly. “What a shame. That’s not something anyone should see, especially not a child.”

My eyes immediately shifted down to Daniel, who was sucking on the roll. I’ve always thought that Jack was paranoid about my safety. When I first got the job he was constantly checking on me. Paul put a gnawing thought in the back of my head. It was impossible not to think about what he told me. It didn’t matter how much I was convinced that Jack wouldn’t fall into his father’s footsteps. I was forced to think about the possibility of it. I also had to think about what I was capable of doing. What if Jack died? How would I react? I couldn’t even imagine it.

“It’s going to be just fine. You two always work it out,” mom said as she patted my leg.

I looked at her in confusion. “What?”

“The fight was nothing, I’m sure.”

I sunk deeper in my chair. She didn’t know what I was thinking. That was a good thing. “I know. This whole night is just stressful, is all.”

She nodded in agreement. “This is disturbing, to be honest. I’ve seen so many people that have died that it began to get to me. I came over here to distract myself.”