twenty five // and you hold me

"Did I say something? Is there a reason why you're ignoring me? It's been two weeks. I know you're busy but- but still. That's not weird of me to think something's up. You're being weird. What did I do?"

"I- you didn't do anything, sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry or anything."

"See, that's what I mean. You should be waxing poetic about summer coming and string bikinis, not... that. Whatever that is. I don't like it. Stop that."

"May's just... It's not a good month for me."

"Can I- I mean, if it's not like, if I'm not crossing boundaries or anything, can I ask why?"

"My, uh, my mom."

"Yeah?"

"She died in May. And I know it's been over a decade since it's happened, but, I don't know, it's still kind of weird for me. Every year. It's never not weird. I don't know, it just kind of happens or whatever. "

"Huh, that's kind of- nevermind, what I'm saying is it's not weird at all. Of course you'd miss your mom. That's only natural, it doesn't matter how many years it's been. Sorry for badgering you about it, I didn't mean to make you talk to me about it or anything. I just- you know, it was weird not hearing from you, is all."

"Yeah, I know, I just get kind of... depressing around this time. Thought I'd spare you."

"You don't have to do that, you know. I don't mind listening. If you wanted to talk about it."

"You want me to ramble on about my dead mom to you? And you said I needed some new hobbies."

"If it makes you feel better, I wouldn't mind."

"On Sundays, she'd make me blueberry pancakes. And we'd always have whipped cream. Every week. It was like our thing."

"That sounds really nice."

"It was. She even kept it up all the way until the end, until she was hospitalized, at least. She was so determined to make sure that I got those stupid pancakes. Sunday mornings suck now. Especially around this time of the year. I don't know. I told you it was dumb."

"It's not dumb, really. You can- I mean, if you'd want, we could talk on Sunday. Sometimes it's nice just to talk about it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, if you're up for it. Again, not trying to cross any boundaries or anything. Just, if it's something you think would help, I'm here."

"No, no, I'd like that, actually. That would be... good, I think."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, it'll be good for me."

"Let's do it then. Call me Sunday whenever, and I'll pick up the phone. It's a date."

"It's a date. And, uh, thanks. Really. You don't have to."

"I want to, Parker."

***
I POSTED THIS EARLY BECAUSE ITS MY BIRTHDAY AND ITS A CUTE CHAPTER HUZZAH
fun fact #1589737: we've hit 10k words!!! that's exciting i think