Chapter Thirteen: Making Things Right

"Twenty-seven, six and three." I mumbled, to myself as I spun the dial of my locker opening it, proceeding to exchange my bag for my books.

"Hey Ali.” I turned, my head to see Sarah smiling brightly at me. I looked at her curiously, she seemed happy but her eyes seemed sad, something I couldn't really decipher. 

 “Hey, Sarah.” I said, hesitantly.

“How are you?” She asked, still looking at me with an unreadable expression.

“Good.” I replied, grabbing my books for drama class.

“So where were you yesterday?” She asked, firing another question.

“I was out sick.”

“Yeah, just like Holly and Ben.” She explained, raising her eyebrows.

I nodded. “O-okay?" I was starting to get confused, "Sarah what’s this about?” I questioned, shutting my locker door and turning to her.

“If you didn’t want to be my friend, you could’ve just told me instead of playing the pity card.” She said, looking hurt.

“We didn’t ditch you.” I told her, disbelief clear in my voice.

“So where were you yesterday?”

“You’re not my mother you don’t have to know where I am every freakin’ minute of everyday!” I spluttered.

Sarah’s eyes widened her eyes glistened with tears. “No, Sarah. I didn’t mean that.” I said,  guilt overcoming me. “It- it’s just that, I got into a fight with Holly.” I whispered, my eyes casting down to the floor. “And Ben.” I added, under my breath.

“Unbelievable.” She muttered.

My eyes widened at her harsh response. “What is that suppose to mean?” I demanded.

“It all makes sense now, why Ben and Holly are ignoring each other, why you didn’t come to school and why they didn’t even show up to watch me perform even though you all said you were.” She said, looking hurt.

I wanted to tell her that I didn’t miss school to ignore Ben and Holly. But I knew I couldn’t so instead I just kept quiet. “I’m sorry.” I whispered.

She shook her head. “No Ali, until you get your head screwed on right. It’s best if you leave me alone.”

“Sarah.” I tugged on sleeve, but she walked away. 

“Forget it.” I heard her mutter, her red curls bouncing as she walked. 

“But what about the talent show?” I called, out to her. 

“It’s less than three days away, there is no point anymore.” She said, looking at me directly in the eyes, turning around and continuing to walk into the crowd of people swarming the halls.

I let out a sigh, as I watched Sarah fade into the crowd of people. I had to do something, but I just had no ida to what.

*

By the time lunch had rolled around, I had been able to steer clear of Ben, Holly and Sarah. Even with Sarah and Holly in my second period class I managed to get by, with keeping my head in my textbook with the occasional staring up at the board when the teacher called upon me.

I trudged towards the library to have lunch. I didn’t want to face anyone especially Ben knowing that he would be looking for me. After his confession, I didn’t feel the same about him and the fact I declined his apology didn’t make the awkward situation any better.