Chapter Thirty-Eight: Your last Chance

My feet hit the floor in a continuous beat as I sprinted trying to catch up with Gavin. When I noticed his messy brown hair just a few feet away from me I called out his name, he turned around looking at me in confusion.

“Gavin!” I said, breathlessly as I slowed down trying to catch my breath.

“Ali?” He replied, confused.

“J-just give me a minute to catch my breath,” I huffed, grabbing Gavin’s arm for support as I tried to get my heart rate to go back to its normal beat.

“Wow,” He said, after a while. “You are seriously unfit.”

When I finally caught my breath I gave him a glare. “Excuse me, but I am fit.” I argued, “I have abs.”

“Where? Under your stomach fat?” Gavin asked, a smirk on his face.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “You’re an asshole you know that?”

“Yeah, I am asshole that you are out of breath for.”

I breathed in deeply trying to stop the urge from strangling him. “I am out of breath because I might be a little out of shape…”

“So you admit it?”

I groaned, “Look, me being unfit is not the point.”

“Then what is the point?” He asked, his brown eyes narrowing.

“If you shut up and let me explain maybe I will tell you.” I spat, he kept quiet, staring at me with a blank look on his face. “I’m sorry, I know there is a chance you might never forgive me. But, at least I realize what I said was wrong.”

Gavin stared at me, looking at me thoughtfully. “Give me one good reason why I should accept it?”

“Because I am adorable and your best friend?” I asked, trying to lighten the mood. Gavin just stared at me, his expression of a blank look, didn’t change. I let out a sigh, “You should forgive me because I am not a heartless bitch.”

“You could’ve fooled me,” Gavin muttered, under his breath. I clenched my jaw ignoring him. I never expected him from all people to say that to my face, but I should’ve known. “If you are done with your pity apology, I will go. Because if you haven’t forgotten, I am mad at you.” Gavin spat.

“You don’t look that mad.”

Gavin’s expressionless face was quickly replaced with a scowl that seemed to be permanently etched onto his face. “Okay you are mad. Look, I get it. And I am sorry but I want to fix whatever this is.”

“Fine, you got one minute to say what you want,” He stated.

“What? That’s not fair!”

“Fifty-nine, fifty-eight, fifty-seven…” He began counting down.

I raised my hands in surrender, “Okay! Okay! Look, as I mentioned before, I am sorry about what I said back in health class… You know that! I could apologize a million times, but I know that you don’t want to forgive me. Which I totally understand, but under all those scowls and scariness, you are a really great guy.”

“Forty-six, forty-five…”

I ran my hands through my hair, frustrated. “Look! Yes, I know what happened to your mother. I found an article that was dated five years ago, I knew from the start that I shouldn’t have pried but I had too! You are a closed book, all you ever do is push people away! Like what am I supposed to do?”