Chapter 3

A/N: For now, I'm going to try to update 1-2 times a week and see how it goes. Wish me luck because my time management skills suck. Thanks homies.

****

Chapter 3

Silence. Nothing but silence. Was I ever going to catch a break? And why did I have a feeling this was just going to end in embarrassment for me?

Actually, not nothing but silence. There was some background noise, like the girl on the other line was throwing her phone around. Not that that was any better.

"Hello?" I tried again.

Still nothing. Come on, Spunky. I didn't have all day.

"Are you there, Mystery Girl?"

Well, I tried. I made a valiant effort. Time to call the runner-up –

"I have a name, you know," she finally snapped. She sounded pretty irritated but it was a start. At least she said something this time.

"Ryder," the blond host said in a sing-song voice, giggling like it was the funniest thing in the world. "I think we found her."

Well, no shit. That was the whole point of all of this. "Well, what's your name then, sweetheart?" I asked, glancing up momentarily and shooting a wink at the audience.

Chicks loved pet names. I was bound to slowly win her over if I threw them around here and there. I was pretty fond of pet names myself, mostly because they were the easiest, most noncommittal way to make a girl happy. Most of the girls I dated or slept with didn't even realize I only called them "baby" and "sweetheart" because I couldn't always remember their names and didn't want to take the risk. I was better off sticking with "babe" than getting it wrong and getting punched out. My face was way too pretty for that shit.

"I don't see how that's any of your business," she said.

Well, damn. She didn't like nicknames. She apparently didn't like pet names, judging by her tone of voice. And she didn't want to tell me her name. What the hell was I supposed to call her then? Raffle Entry #587? (I wasn't sure if that was her actual raffle entry number. It was just a guess.)

But what if it was a good guess? Note: ask Frank what this chick's raffle entry number was to see if I'm psychic once and for all.

"Fair enough. But I'm sure everyone here is curious. Come on. Don't leave us hanging like that, sweetheart."

She didn't tell me what to call her. She only told me what not to call her. So I figured I'd just call her whatever the hell I wanted to until she ceded. Plus, it was kind of fun hearing how annoyed she was getting over a stupid phone call.

"Would you stop calling me that?"

"I will as soon as you tell me your name, sweetheart," I said with a chuckle. This was finally getting entertaining for me again. I could tell from her voice that she was getting riled up, and I liked them feisty.

"Not happening."

I also didn't mind a good chase. I could play along if playing hard to get was her strategy. I had never been one to turn down a challenge. "How about I try and guess?  And if I'm right, you have to tell me, or it won't be fair." I paused and looked down at the slip of paper I'd been handed with her information on it. "Because I'm thinking your real name isn't Amanda Huggenkiss."

Actually, all of the information she'd given sounded like total bullshit. I was pretty sure her number was the only real piece of information she'd given. It didn't make any sense unless she secretly wanted to win. Why go through so much effort to hide your identity only to put your real phone number on the raffle ticket?