Chapter 1- Elevator

It was the annoying repeating beep that had woke me up from a deep sleep and a dream that I could never remember. Glancing at the clock, it read 6:45. My alarm was never a minute late with the wake up call. Shoving the covers off, I swung my legs over for my feet to touch the cold wooden floor below my bed. I dragged myself around my bed to the bathroom. I took a long look in the mirror, taking in the horrid sight of my messy dark brown hair that flowed passed my shoulders, easing my eyes up to study my light brown eyes that seemed to dwell on. I let out a sigh before stripping of my clothes to step into the steaming hot water of the shower.

Getting ready for work, I pinned up my hair in a nice and neat bun before moving on to my make up. Applying a light amount of eyeliner and coating my lips with red lipstick. I took another long look at myself. I looked better than I had only a mere hour ago with my hair combed through and done up and my make up covering my tired bags under my eyes and blush to hide my pale cheeks. Before stepping out into the cold windy weather of New Yorks winter, I wrapped a warm jacket to hold tightly around me.

The cold air soon hugged me as I stepped out, closing and locking my door behind me. It wasnt much of a home, more of an apartment but it still kept me warm throughout these winters in New York. I heard the clacking of my heels hitting the sidewalk below me as I made my way to work.

Finally arriving in front of the newspaper company I belonged to, I hurried inside to leave behind the cold and to be welcomed by the warmth of the building. I walked passed Phil, our front desk man, to enter into the elevator, pressing the button for the 4th floor. After the door open with a bing, I stepped forward into the wide room filled with cubicals of computers and people eager to get the next best story.

On my way to my station, I walked past Niall Horan, someone who has been working here for a while, he kept to himself and if I recall I don't even think I've heard him talk before. I scrutinize him for a quick walk by. Taking in the sight of his blonde hair that was neatly pushed upward, then his clear blue eyes, his strong jawline along with his other features, finally to how well he wore the dark grey suit and white tie. We never really had to dress up unless you were assigned out, but he always seemed to look his best.

Reaching my desk station, I set down my bag and emptied it of all the papers of stories I had to do research on. I began to sort out the papers not taking notice to Hayden coming over to me and my cubical.

"Don't you look hot." He breathed, catching my attention with a wink. He towered over me with his build frame. His dark hair was barely long enough to cover his hazel eyes that always seemed to be wandering.

"Thank you, but I have work to do." I eased my eyes back to my pile of papers.

"When aren't you doing work? Come on, Jenna, let me take you out." His words seeped down to me with a suggestive tone. My eyes shot up, then scanning over the room to see if anyone heard him. That's when I saw Niall looking over, not just looking but he looked as if he was in a deep thought, maybe.

"Hayden, really, another time." I replied as my eyes went to him then down.

My mind soon drifted from him as I vaguely heard his tone turn harsh, "We'll see.." He spat before making his way back over to his cubical. My eyes shifted back up and over to Niall, who was back in his chair paying attention to his computer screen, as if he hadn't been watching. With a shrug, the situation slipped my mind and back to being diligent.

The day went on slow and long even before I made it to my lunch break at 12:00pm. For lunch, I made my way to the elevator to go on floor 2.

Entering the break room, I took a seat in my regular chair to chow down on a left over slice of pizza that I had brought in. I had 30 minutes for my lunch, so I took my time to eat the small piece of bread, sauce, and cheese. There was never a congregation of people in the second floor break room since their normal lunch was at 1.