f o u r t y s e v e n

so sorry for this being so late. I will explain it at the end of the chapter but I really am sorry. I'm tired of writing in first person and I feel I can do better in 3rd so here is a little bit different and longer chapter.

Gerard always loved the idea of walking around downtown during Christmas time. It was always something he planned on doing, but he never seemed to get around to it. But here he was, with Frank, and he was finally going to find out if it would be all Christmas trees and lights and kisses from Frank, or if it wouldn't be as romantic and fairy tale like as he had hoped. It probably wouldn't be.

“Here, let me…” Frank trailed off as he gently took Gerard's hand in his own and laced their fingers together. Gerard smiled and tried not to blush, but he couldn't really help it.

It wasn't completely dark, but it was getting there. Frank led Gerard down the sidewalk, swinging their arms and causing Gerard to laugh a little, quietly.

“We're just getting to where it looks really nice. You'll love it,” Frank turned to Gerard and smiled. “And stop being all quiet and awkward. I like talking to you.”

“Sorry,” Gerard mumbled. “It's just, I dunno, hard?”

“I don't care what you say. You could talk about anything you want and I'd listen.”

Gerard smiled a little. “I don't know.”

Frank shrugged and grinned a little. “What did you get me for Christmas?”

“Nope, not telling you,” Gerard smiled wider. “If I even got you anything.”

“Shut up!” Frank nudged Gerard in the ribs. “I know you got me something.”

“Whatever,” Gerard smiled and leaned closer to Frank. “Now that I think about it, you're not even that short. Just a little shorter than me.”

“Yeah, and that's not a big deal,” Frank mumbled. “So, um, how are Pete and Patrick?”

“Dunno. I think they're good,” Gerard shrugged.

“That's good.”

Then there was silence. Except it wasn't as awkward as Gerard had anticipated. It was nice, kind of calm. And suddenly all Gerard could think of was the fact that Frank was holding his hand. Because Frank was holding his hand. And Frank actually wanted to. It was easy enough to tell that both of them were head over heels for each other, but Gerard still had his doubts. And now he was starting to believe that he might actually have a chance.

“Gerard, look!” Frank smiled and tugged on Gerard's hand a little, causing Gee to look up from the ground. His eyes immediately drifted to the large Christmas tree that Frank was pointing to.

It was completely dark by then, and it was getting colder, and Gerard was shivering a little, but there he was with Frank looking at the Christmas tree and having the best time of his life. It felt so different from anything he'd ever done, and he felt so differently about Frank than he had about any other person.

“Frank?”

“Hm? Yeah, Gee?”

“Who were you trying to text when you texted me? For the first time, I mean.”

Frank furrowed his eyebrows. “Hm… I don't remember.”

“Really?” Gerard peeled his eyes away from the tree to look at Frank.

Frank shrugged. “I don't know. I don't even know if I was texting anyone specific. I was probably just looking for friends.”

Gerard smiled a little. “Oh. I'm your friend, right?”