Walking Home

The nighttime fog softened the harsh orange glow from streetlight. Standing within the illuminated cone, Shane couldn't help but compare his limited view to watching a TV with a slightly fuzzy, out of focus picture. Somehow, it seemed fitting.

Checking his cell phone for the fourth time in five minutes, he sighed. In stereotypical female fashion, she was late.

“Boo!” Shane’s heart pounded into overdrive instantly. He spun on a girl in her late teens, brunette and pretty.

“Christ! You about gave me a heart attack.”

“Would that be so bad?” She smiled and bit her lower lip.

“I guess not.” Shane shrugged and glanced down at his shoes.

“You never could lie.” She bent down trying to get back into his field of vision.

“Walk me home?” she said.

“Sure.” He shoved his hands in his pockets and started walking. She matched his pace, fidgeting with her hands as they went in awkward silence.

Ten minutes later they passed through the cemetery gate.

“Well, here we are.”

“Thanks.” She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek before dissipating into the mist. Shane stayed there until sunrise, taking refuge in an all too familiar blanket of loneliness.  

For another flash challenge from Jewel. We had word sets to choose from and had to use those words in the story. The bolded words are the ones I took.