Chapter Two: Familiar Face

I awoke on the bathroom floor, a familiar sharp pain coming from my wrist. I glanced down, only to reveal six new slits down my wrist. I must have came to cut in the middle of the night. I saw my phone lying on the sink, and grabbed it to check the time. 6:07, almost time to get ready for school. Walking into my small walk in closet, I picked out a pair of dark skinny jeans, a light blue t-shirt, and a gray hoodie. A few years ago, I used to dress in fashionable tops with cute skirts, and actually curled my hair. Now though, I pull my hair up into a pony tail or braid, or wear it straight like I will today. I can't wear the tops I used to, because most of them were V-neck, and even though I always wore a camisole underneath, it fueled to the fire of everyone calling me a whore. Also, most had short sleeves, and I couldn't risk my cuts being seen.

After applying light makeup, I went down stairs and saw Kristy and Robert sitting at the kitchen table, Kristy tapping away on her phone and Robert reading the morning paper. "Morning" I muttered, my voice still laced with sleep. "Morning" they replied in unison. Robert was dressed in a light gray suit, and his dark hair was impeccably styled. He was actually pretty attractive for someone his age. Kristy, on the other hand, was still in her pajamas. "You better get dressed if you want a ride. You are most definitely not skipping class again today" said Robert. Kristy attended college at the same university that Robert was a professor for. She made a noise resembling a grunt and trudged upstairs. "Kristy and I are going to that conference in Pittsburgh tonight, so behave. I mean it Amaria, take care of yourself" he said seriously. Robert often went too far off meeting for his job as a lawyer, and since my sister was currently in law school, she came along to job shadow. For this one, they would only be gone until Saturday, so I stayed at home to attend school. "I know, I'll be fine. Don't worry!" I told him with a fake smile, grabbing a banana and running out the door.

School both droned on and blurred past, as it did everyday. My peers called me a whore, slut, and other disgusting words. It wasn't a new concept for me. One thing in particular stung today, though. I saw Jacob Addams little brother in the hallway. This happens every once in awhile, and every time my heart stops in my chest. I recalled the event in my mind.

I walked down the hallway with my arms hugging my torso and my hair hanging in my face, trying to block out the harsh words. "Come on Mari! Why 'ya so covered up all the time! We know you want to hang loose" said a popular football player, twirling my hair between his index finger and thumb. I remained silent and walked forward. "Come on Mari, Mari, Contrary, didn't be so sti-" every thing turned silent when Brandon Adams came into view. He was twelve years old, and the sixth graders had there advanced science club in the high school. My palms began to shake and my stomach whirled. He looked so much like Jacob... "Look who it is Mare Bear!" sang Kyleigh, a girl with bright blonde extensions and spray tan, pointing in Brandon's direction. I glanced up involuntarily, and for a split second, met his eye. Hot wet tears strolled down my face, and Brandon jogged to the end of the hall, a look that could only be described as disgust in his eye.

When I came out of the flash back, I was kneeling against the bathroom sink, blood trailing down my arm and onto the floor. I gripped my stomach with my right arm and stood up, trying to mop up the damage. After it was all clean, I crawled into bed and pulled my ancient afghan over my face. All was silent, and the house was empty. There was nothing to block out the storm in my head. So, instead of sleeping, I walked over to my desk and grabbed a notebook and pen. Then, I did the thing that I did best. I began writing. Firstly, I scribbled down some new lines of a poem I had been grogging at for weeks. Poetry was the only way to get out my emotions, so speak the thoughts that were other wise only piles of blood on the floor. I enjoyed reading poetry as well. Robert Frost, Edward Arlington, but my absolute favorite was the spectacular Edgar Allan Poe. He writes the darkness in the world that others are to dim to see.

Next, I wrote to my mother. I told her about Robert and Kristy being out of town, and me getting an A on my chemistry test. I told her other pointless things, and then I told her of how I loved her and missed her and couldn't wait until my visit with her on Sunday. We were aloud one visit with her a month, and I had to go with Kristy every time because I wasn't yet eighteen. It used to be stressful and hectic, but I have grown used to it. The irritating parts though, were how crowded it always is and the exasperating wait. It was all worth it though, to be able to see my mothers face and hear her voice.

I sealed my letter away in an envelope, and drifted to sleep.

~~~~A/N~~~~

I haven't updated this in ages! I'm so sorry! I'm hoping that it can become more regular. Pretty boring chapter, but the exciting part is in the next chapter, I promise! Vote, comment, fan <3

XOXOXO