Chapter Fourteen

It’s Leighton’s birthday, Moet thinks happily to herself as she quickly gets the things she needs for homework out of her locker. She has an adequate idea of what to get Leighton but she has to hurry to and back from the mall so Leighton wouldn’t get suspicious. They’d agreed to spend tonight together to celebrate. While walking to the exit of the school, she rummages in her bag to double-check her belongings when all of a sudden, she walks right into someone else.

            “S-sorry,” Moet stammers before looking up and immediately recognizing the face of Quinn. “Oh. Hi, Quinn.”

            The right side of his mouth quirks up a bit into one of his famous half-smiles before he answers, “Hey.” They stand around for a moment before Quinn asks, “Do you need a ride?”

            Moet’s eyebrows draw together in thought before she realizes that she indeed did need a ride. The mall was quite a long walk away. Quinn didn’t even wait for her answer before he took her arm and led her to his aged forest-green truck. It was a hand-me-down from his brother, Moet remembered.

            “Where to?” Quinn asks once they’re buckled in.

            “Um, I actually need to go to the mall. It’s Leighton’s birthday today. I want to get him a present.” Moet awkwardly explains.

            “Leighton… Leighton B.? The boy genius?” Quinn asks, making a right turn.

            “Yep.” She was never really good at making conversation.

            “So are you two… together?” He glances over at her as he asks this.

            Hmm. Were they together? They never really officially said so, but Moet liked him. She liked him a lot, actually. As far as she knew, he felt the same. “I guess so,” she finally replies.

            “Hmm.” Quinn nods in thought. “We’re here.”

            Moet makes a beeline for the bookstore. The dark-haired gruff boy trails behind her at a leisurely pace. Scanning the book shelves, she ruffles her hair in frustration. Where could it possibly be?

            “Have a certain book in mind?” Moet jumps at the feeling of Quinn’s breath tickling her ear. She didn’t know he was that close.

            “Yes, but for some reason I can’t find…. Oh! Found it!” The pale-haired girl shuffles through the copies to find one without creases or bent spines and walks over to the cash register to pay. Once she’s paid, she walks over to her companion and leans around to see what display he’s looking at.

            “The Fault in Our Stars,” she reads under her breath. Quinn puts back the copy he was looking at and turns towards Moet.

            “Ready to go?”

            She holds up the bag in answer. “Yeah.”

            The two walk out of the mall and back towards the parking lot.

            “Where to?” Quinn repeats once he’s behind the wheel.

            “Home.” She replies.

            “Happy birthday,” Moet says with a smile when Leighton opens the door.

            “Thanks,” he grins. Stunned by the sight of his brilliant smile, Moet falters for a bit. “Is that for me?”