Chapter Sixteen

“How was practice?” Leighton asks as soon as Moet steps into his car.

            “Fine,” she lies. The dizzy spells have gotten worse. She can’t even do triples anymore without seeing spots. It infuriated Mother, who yelled at Moet in turn, which made Moet’s headaches hurt worse, which started the cycle all over again.

            “You’re lying to me again,” Leighton bluntly states as he makes a right turn. He’s been driving Moet home after practices ever since the night they met.

            “I don’t want you to worry about me, Leighton. I’m fine.” Moet replies, giving his left hand a reassuring squeeze.

            Instead of smiling and squeezing her hand back, his hand lays limp in hers as he stares out the windshield with a stiffened jaw. “No, you’re not fine. You’re starving yourself. You’re burning off more calories than you’re taking in. How do you not understand how dangerous this is? You’re going to die, Moet.”

            Leighton isn’t one to beat around the bush. Moet winces at the harsh tone his words had taken on.

            “I know.” Moet’s lower lip quivers a bit as a lump starts forming in her throat. “But I can’t stop, Leighton. It’s like another girl’s controlling my mind, forcing me to exercise when I’m tired, stopping me from eating food even though I’m hungry... I can’t help it.”

            “But you can,” Leighton stubbornly says. “You don’t understand what you’re talking about. Anorexia is all in the mind. If you try hard enough, you can do it. You’re just not trying hard enough. Try harder.” He makes a right turn.

            “Don’t tell me what I do and do not understand, Leighton. You don’t understand. You never understand how logic isn’t the answer to everything.” Moet’s voice starts taking on a stern tone.

            “If you just try hard enough…” Leighton starts, but Moet interrupts.

            “I’m trying as hard as I possibly can, Leighton.” Frustrated, the two lapse into a tensioned silence that lasts until they pull up onto Moet’s driveway. However, there’s a pale-haired girl sitting on Moet’s porch steps waiting for something… or someone.

            With a gasp, she recognizes the bloodshot blue eyes of Dakota as the girl turns her head towards the oncoming car. “Leighton, it’s my sister.”

            “What? Where?” He looks out the windshield and glances around the front of the house.

            “Right there. She’s sitting on the porch steps, don’t you see her? Come on, I’ll introduce you guys.” Disregarding the little dispute they had a few moments before, she gets out of the car, runs around to Leighton’s side before he’s had his seatbelt detached, and grasps his hand as she leads him to the porch steps.

            “Dakota, this is my boyfriend, Leighton. Leighton, this is my sister, Dakota.” Moet introduces happily. It’s a great thing to introduce the two people you love most in the world to each other. Right after the small introduction, she notices how Dakota doesn’t even make a move to shake Leighton’s hand and that Leighton doesn’t make a move to shake hers either. In fact, Dakota’s blue eyes seem to be brimming with tears.

            “Moet,” Leighton says concernedly. “I don’t see anyone.”

            Confused, Moet looks from Dakota in front of her to Leighton who was beside herself. “What do you mean? She’s right here.” Suddenly, Dakota stands up and extends a hand out toward Leighton with a grim face. “She’s waiting for you to shake her hand.”