18: Clarity

"Let me go up to my room, get decent." I quiveringly swallowed. "Please?"

"Go ahead honey." My mom said sympathetically.

I pushed past my parents, and walked towards the stairs. I exited the kitchen, and was met with all of our family pictures. It was always mom and dad in the front or in the back. Then there was Wesley and I. There was this one picture where it was after one of Wesley's football games at one of the previous high schools. We were on the field, and he was holding me bridal style while we laughed in hysterics. It was one of the greatest days.

As I passed by the picture I could feel my eyes welling up with tears. I gripped the blanket closer to my body and I ran up the stairs. I threw open my door, walked over to my dresser and grabbed a bra and underwear. I put them on, and grabbed the blanket and held it tight around my body. I walked out of my room, and to Wesley's room.

As soon as I got in there I got a pain in my heart. Everything hit me at once. You know that feeling when something doesn't feel real until you need it or you need the person? Well that's what it was. I walked into his closet and got his favorite sweater. It was a pullover that said "My sister doesn't want to date you" in the front. I grabbed it off the hanger, and hugged it to my body as the blanket fell. I pulled it over my body and stepped out of the closet and went back to my room. I pulled on my shorts, and prepared myself for what I was going to have to do.

"Jared?" My mom said wearily.

"Hmm?" My dad hummed as they both sat at the table busying themselves till I came back. I decided to wait at the swing door to the kitchen to see what they would start talking about.

"Do you think something bad happens to Wesley?" My mom said tearing up.

"Now why would you say such a thing Hannah?" My dad said getting irritated and putting down the paper he was reading.

"I'm-I'm just saying because....you know Wesley, he would never be gone this long. Plus he said he was going to pick up Charlotte. She's here now, and Wes is still gone. Not to mention that Charlotte looks like a mess, and naked no less throws up a lot of red flags." My mom said starting to sob

"Now, Hannah..."

"And Jared." My mom said cutting off my father. She never did that.

"What?" He spat.

"I feel that something very terrible happened to him." She cried. "A mother knows, Jared. Especially wolf mothers, we have a connection with our pup. Jar-Jared I feel like Wes is g-gone." My mom sobbed uncontrollably.

"Stop! Stop that Hannah!" My dad rose his voice. "That's a fucking stupid thing to say!"

If only he knew my mom was right....he would find out right now.

I walked a few feet away form the door and walked towards the kitchen swing door again dragging my feet , so they knew I was coming. So they could compose themselves. I slowly dragged myself to the kitchen table to sit with my parents. My mom quickly stood up, and plastered a fake smile on her face and asked me if I wanted coffee because I looked like death. It made sense, I was almost dead.

"No, mom, thanks though." I said weakly. "I just really need to speak to you two." I licked my chapped lips.

"Go ahead, honey." My dad said sipping his coffee.

"I know everything." I breathed out. Both of my parents looked lost. They both scoffed a laugh.

"Sorry Char, we don't know what you mean." My father laughed looking at my mother then to me again.

"My wolf Evergreen." I said coldly picking at the skin peeling around my freshly bitten fingernails. "She's pretty cool, um, of course I've had a rough couple of days. I, uh..." I tried to look up and blink away tears that had formed. "I uhm, found my mate. His pack thought I was a human. Hell, even I thought I was a human. Until two days ago." Then I had to fight with myself to get out the next part.

"Charlotte, sweetheart, you don't have to cont-" My father started to say as he reached for my hands that were in front of me, but I flinched away.

"Yes! Actually I do have to continue." I yelled as I pushed away from the table, and stood up. I caught both my father and mother off guard. They both stared at me with wide eyes.

"Mom..Dad." I started. My eyes were getting ready to spill a river, and my heart was clenching in my chest. "Wesley he, um, well...he-he's dead." I broke into a fit of sobs. "It's all my fault. If I never would have went with Luka from school to talk to him about this mate thing, his pack would have never caught us and captured me. Wesley wouldn't have had to come and save me and die!" My voice broke and I was crying hysterically. My mom was crying softly into my dads chest. He didn't look phased, but determined.

I composed myself a bit, and I thought maybe now would be a good time to ask my father why he thought moving here would be a great idea, and why he kept this whole wolf thing from me.

"Dad." I broke the silence of just sobs. "Why?"

"What do you mean?" He answered.

"Why did you keep this secret from me? I know you moved us here for a reason! Why did you have to pick this place? What was so special?" I was getting angry.

"Now, calm down Charlotte. I don't want you shifting, and ruining the kitchen." I sat down, and waited for his answer. "I moved us here because the moon goddess told us that you could get your wolf back, and kill the witches curse if you found your mate. That was a years or two after you were cursed. She came back to us a month before we moved from the other house, and told us that your mate was placed around or in this territory. I we moved here you were bound to find him. I didn't know any of this would happen." He said rubbing his hand over his face.

"I have a feeling you had Duke and Grayson keep an eye on me." I said flatly.

"Yes. Actually I thought Duke would end up being your mate. He seemed to really like you." He sighed.

"I was never going to have a say in this dad!? Because last time I check I was my own person! God! What was this all for exactly? I mean besides the whole mate bullshit!" I scoffed at my dad. "What if I didn't take to my mate as a human which I basically was? What if I didn't like him? Were you ever gonna tell me about the wolf thing?!" I finished.

"We didn't think that deep into it, we just wanted you to be the normal you again." My mother spoke up.

"Normal? Normal! None of this shit is normal!! You lost a son because of this you know that? You might even lose a daughter as well." I stormed out of the kitchen, and to my room.

I stomped up the stairs, and into my room. Once I got into my room I screamed out my frustration. If Grace could have just helped me kill myself to go with her when I was 13, when she was put on hospice. We had a whole plan. The reason why I never went through with it was because she told me to live my life for her, and I have been. Now, I don't know what there is to live for.

I walked towards my bed, and got under the covers. I cried till I had no more tears left, and then I dosed off to sleep.

-

When I woke up again I looked at the clock on my bedside table. It read 5:25pm. I pushed myself up off the bed, and swung my feet off the edge so I was sitting up. I breathed in a sigh and I decided I would have to eat sometime. I got up, and that's when I heard a knock at the door and I smelled Luka.

"Let me see her, NOW!" I heard from downstairs. It shook the whole house.

"Really? Now?" I huffed as I ran downstairs.

•••
Yay! Four more chapters left!!!! I'm so happy this book has been a success, more than I thought it would be tbh. I know I don't update as much as I should, but I hope it's not too bad. I love each and everyone who reads this book!! xx💘