2. treasured silence

J A Y

J A Y

It wasn't so bad, the wall behind the school. The cold bricks never seemed to cease sending shivers through my body as I leant against them each lunch.

Pulling open my plastic container that kept my lunch, I took out an apple, which I happily bit into.

I hadn't seen Soren at school that day. Most said he'd been expelled, but that was entirely untrue. When your mother is as rich as his, you can pay your way out of anything.

What I didn't understand was why she even put her son into a public school. You'd think someone of their wealth would be in a private school, then again—he would definitely be expelled.

My guess was that he'd just skipped a few classes. Taking my last bite, I threw my apple into the grass and watched it roll under a tree.

"Littering is against the rules, isn't it?"

I jumped as the voice broke the silence I was so used to. Turning to look in the direction I'd heard it from, I was completely and utterly shocked to see Soren leaning against the wall.

"Well, you've never been one for rules." I pointed out, mouth still open eyes wide in shock. "Have you?"

Stupid. Stupid. St—

He turned and looked at me, "Well, You ain't me."

"That's true. Why are you here anyways? You lost?" I asked grinning as I watched Soren turn his head to one side and stare out at the trees.

"You meant to do that?"

"Wha—" I stopped when he nodded in the direction of the tree.

I turned to watch small little birds with bright blue chest attack my apple core, "Yeah... I guess they've kinda learnt."

Soren looked down at me his arms crossed, his face yet again expressionless, "You're saying you sit here every lunch, alone?"

"What's wrong with that?" I said defensively before looking away quickly, hoping he didn't get mad.

"Nothin." Soren grunted before sliding down the wall and sitting next to me, if you could call a one-meter proximity apart "sitting together".

"You like cheese?" I asked stupidly looking at Soren, who turned to look at me with a blank expression.

He shrugged and turn back to look at the birds. I couldn't help but chat away to Soren. He never said anything but I knew he was listening. I don't know what took over me, maybe it was the many lunch times alone but I couldn't stop.