4. the pursuit of happiness

This is a long chapter, my bad

S O R E N

Some people don't understand the meaning of family. One of those people is me, going off my circumstances. We, kids are brought up with the goal of making money. If you can't do that, then you ain't a McKinin.

To be a McKinin is to be perfect... Something I'm not so good at being, especially when I have an older brother and younger twins (who are going to take over the world). I seem to be the disappointment of the family.

This concludes to why I hate "Family Friday Night Dinners", and why I particularly make sure I'm out somewhere—preferably drinking.

Not tonight though. My older brother had me in a headlock before I could reach the door. 

"Get your fucking hands off me." I growled while Red laughed, as I stood unamused, inches from the door of freedom.

"Where're ya going baby bro?" He grinned as he stared down at my black hair. "It's family dinners. Everyone wants to hear about your camp."

"Nothing happened." I spat, "I said fucking let go before I punch you." Red and I were about the same size, even though he's four years older than me.

"Language!" My mother's voice echoed from the lounge room, and Red laughed again.

"Fuck, my bad!" I yelled back sarcastically before Red's headlock tightened.

"Soren—"

Hitting his arm with my elbow and twisting my body, I took a step back away from my brother who was looking at me with a serious expression.

"Don't go drinking, Soren. Getting drunk as much as you do ain't good for you. I don't want be coming to pick you at 1am—"

"Then don't. I'll drive home." I scoffed, but I was thrown off guard as I was smashed against the wall.

My mother's warnings for us to stop fighting came from the other room but I ignored her, fuming with anger as I glared into Red's blue eyes.

Blue eyes: All the McKinins had bright blue eyes and blonde hair. It's what our family was known for... Although I have jet-black hair.

"Listen, go around and fuck up your own life but don't go drinking and driving. You could kill someone who doesn't deserve to die." He spoke in a dangerously low voice.

"Get your fucking hands off of me."

Red let go of my shirt collar and walked towards the dining room. I knew he was waiting for me to follow him.