Chapter 4 || Dinner at the Matsuokas

||Y/N's Point Of View||

I thought about Rin and what had just happened the day prior to today. Why was he so invested in our race? It wasn't his place at all to care.

He sure didn't seem like the Rin I remembered... Such a different boy than who I saw only a couple of days ago... Why was he so angry?

My head hurt just from thinking of all this. I tried focusing on the fact that we made regionals and that it was only a few weeks away.

The team did great out there. No, not just great, amazing. I couldn't be prouder of them. Now we just needed to focus on bettering ourselves.

"Hey Gou," I greeted her the following school day.

"(Y/N) hi!" She smiles.

I couldn't help but remember her brother.

"Hey I was wondering...have you heard from Rin?"

"I have actually... He called to tell me he was coming home this weekend. We're gonna have a family dinner," Gou admits.

"I hate to ask this of you but would you mind coming? Please? I don't want it to be awkward with him and me since what happened yesterday... And I need you so I won't be all alone."

I give a heavy sigh. Wouldn't it be awkward for me too?

"Gou..."

"Please?" She begs.

I bite my lip accepting it, "Anything for you."

She squeals, "Thank you so much!"

~*~
Saturday

I stared at the clothes hanging in my closet. Why was I so worried about dinner? Was it because of Rin?

I managed to pick out a cute, blue dress. I picked out some sandals and let my hair fall on its own. I spent a few minutes on my makeup too.

I wasn't a heavy makeup girl.

With that in mind, I wondered...was I trying too hard?

I hated me for berating myself so much. I had to keep reminding myself that it was just dinner. Just a boy.

Just a boy... Rin was just a boy. Over and over in my mind to ease my nerves.

And then I heard a knock at my door.

"Gou," I smiled to her as I opened my door. She was coming to walk me over to her house.

"You look pretty!" She gawks.

"Oh stop. It's just a dress..." I blushed.

"It's cute!"

"Thank you."

"So how come he's home now?" I asked her.

"Oh well he just transferred to another school, Samezuka from being in Australia. And since he won the tournament, we're having a little celebration for him."

I nod, "That's nice. Do your parents know that our team is also going to regionals?"

"Yeah, but they're just so proud of him for making it. You know?"

"Mm-hmm." I smile.

We didn't have a far walk, since she lived right around the corner. By now, the sun was setting. And it was beautiful.