Chapter 4

It'd been three days since Ty had adopted Jason. Jason was slow in getting adjusted to not only living with a giant, but being manhandled by one frequently. Ty was surprisingly gentle despite his usually gruff dialogue; he handled Jason in a non-rough way, more responsibly than those back at the pet store; Jason could still feel their cold tight fingers touching him, digits too large for him to fend for himself against... being inspected under different odd-colored eyes, one pair purple, another rosy pink, maybe someone with brilliant icy crystal-blue eyes. All holding him like he was but an object in an auction, treating him not as an intelligent, literate creature, who's kind was here on this earth long before the giants came.

But Ty... there was just something about him. His hands were warm unlike those before him to handle Jason, and soft and calloused too. He always held the little human in a gentle and secure way, most commonly against his chest. Jason was starting to find that being held in his hands, gently pressed over his heart, was actually quite comfortable. He couldn't explain it, but perhaps he was starting to warm up to the giant... it was such a strange notion. He still hated giants, but... Jason didn't know. He still hadn't spoken a word, he hadn't since his capture. His voice was probably hoarse by now...

But here he was, resting on his master's leg and waist, dozing like a puppy in their owner's lap; that's all humans were now-- only humans weren't a giant's best friend.

But by now he had begun to adjust; Jason learned that Ty liked Chinese food; he preferred cats; he liked being languid every once in a while by watching some TV; he seemed to be a YouTuber, often leaving Jason in his cage to play on the computer. Jason would often hear him talking and laughing, as if someone else were there with him-- but it was none other than the camera. But behind the mechanism's dark cold black eye would be thousands of pairs of other eyes watching from around the world. Jason knew very well this profession, the happiness of entertaining others even if you didn't know them... as he himself was once a jack of this trade.

Jason sighed, his eyes closed and inattentive to the show on. Oh how he missed his old life... the fear of the larger race had washed away many of his memories, made them go grey and black and white.

Nothing but faded memories were left. Nothing but echoes of his missing past.

He felt Ty shift a little to remain comfortable, and he opened one bright cyan eye. What thoughts ran through a giant's mind? Did they ever wonder about humans? Did they even care about humans, anymore than the average pet?

Jason yawned and stretched. He was tired. While he didn't get as much physical work done, he easily grew tired from lack thereof. But he also found himself hungry, so he whimpered and pawed Ty's white tee, getting the giant's attention.

"Hmm?" Ty looked down and tilted his head with a small assuring smile. "What's wrong Jason? You hungry?" Jason nodded, and Ty picked up the remote and turned off the TV. "Alright then little guy, I gotchya. No pellets." Jason was grateful that he wouldn't be force fed those awfully disgusting, dry, tasteless pellets anymore. He let his owner pick him up and enter the kitchen, only to halt when the doorbell rang.

"Oh! That's probably Husky!" Ty quickly carried Jason to the bedroom, and he gently plopped the human down at the entrance of his cage.

"Stay." That one single word of command sent ice through Jason's veins as Ty left. Stay? Stay, as in like a dog? Was that all Jason was, just some overgrown person's measly groveling pet!?

Jason eyed the open cage door thoughtfully, hearing Ty and Quentin cheerfully speaking indistinctly from beyond the soundproofing walls, their voices carrying through the open door. No doubt they were talking about him. He was nothing but entertainment to them; something to play with until one day they'd get bored.