Then the Rent is Due 2

Getting fired from a job you don't like can't be the end of the world. Maybe she could get her job back at the doughnut shop. She loved it there and had wished she'd never left. What was she thinking? It wasn't as though she had gone to a better paying job. The doughnut shop had been closer to her apartment. She'd even loved her co-workers.

It still hurt even though she didn't like the supermarket. Being fired was equal to a relationship break-up. Thinking of which, Noah hadn't called her all weekend. The way her life was going, he too may have walked out of her life. There was only one thing to do when she got home besides looking for a new job, she would clean house. This was the best time to take advantage of Mia not being home. As soon as Emma would put the toys away, Mia would be dragging them back out into the middle of the room.

Not hearing from her boyfriend over the weekend bothered her, but she didn't' want to make something out of nothing. He wouldn't leave her or break up with her without her knowing. Noah wasn't like that. Emma reminded herself that he wasn't like Mia's father, who was irresponsible. That man was hardly ever in his daughter's life ever since she was born. No, this was the first time she hadn't heard from him on the weekend. Maybe something had come up, a family emergency. She knew his parents were at the age where their health could fail at any moment. Maybe she wasn't fair to him by keeping him from his family every weekend.

She'd met them once, a few months ago. His brothers and sisters were crazy sweet, and his parents were the sort of parents one could wish for. Nothing like Emma's overbearing, controlling mother. Her father, who knows where he was now that her parents were separated for the past three months, as a result of an eminent divorce to come.

By noontime, Emma finished up with mopping the kitchen floor. The mail should be there by now. Maybe a support check would be waiting for her.

No check, instead there is a notice from the apartment management. The rent was due last week and been forgotten. She needed to send out the payment. Shit, when was this day going to end. So far, it had been the worst day of her life. This day was ending on a truly sour note. Maybe she should pay half the rent. That would leave her with enough money to buy a bit of food to get them through the rest of the week.

Tomorrow was another day. She would look for work then.

71 Q*4