Looking For Work 3

Not a thing to eat. Two days passed since Emma lost her job. She had taken the last fifty dollars to put time on her phone. Hope was fading fast while waiting to hear back from the doughnut shop. At least she had the basics to feed to Mia. It was a good thing that child wasn't a finicky eater like some kids her age. Last night she was more than happy to eat a can of o' spaghetti while Emma settled for an egg sandwich. After buying that phone card, it set her back even more. Hopefully, she would find work soon and then she'd make up the difference she owed on her rent. In the meantime, she paid the local food bank a visit and was able to acquire a bit of food for the table for the week. She hated having to go to such a place to ask for food, but what was she to do, no job meant there was no money to pay bills.

Still, she had no word from Noah either. Had he run out on her after all? She had tried his cell phone number several times but only got his answering service. Was he avoiding her? She racked her brain trying to think of reasons why he wouldn't want to talk to her. This wasn't like him. Maybe there was another woman involved. No, that couldn't be it, could it?

Don't doubt yourself or Noah. Don't start now. We have to get through this box of lemons. Mia is counting on you, she told herself. Why didn't she believe things could get better?

When Mia got out of school, they would go for a walk to the park. That was sure to empty those thoughts out of her head and pull her out of this rut she was in. Being around a friend or two might help. Someone, she could bend their ear and give her a bit of sympathy or better yet, advice.

Mia was more than happy to go to the park after school. She didn't mind having to walk the two blocks to get there. Emma wasn't much of an exerciser. Most times she would drive to everywhere she needed to go. Right now, she was better off saving her gas as much as possible, especially if she were to get a call for an interview.

"Mama, I want to swing."

"Just be careful. I will be right over here sitting next to Kendra."

Mia ran off to swing with her friends without a care or worry. The innocence of being a child, what Emma would give to have a life where she could play all day and never have a worry or care? Such was life, especially when it was filled with lemons.

"I don't know what to do," Emma said. "I can't find work anywhere."

Kendra began to rattle off a bunch of businesses looking to hire, unfortunately, Emma wasn't qualified for any of the positions. "You could try the hospital, they might need a housekeeper."

"I don't feel that would be a good fit for me."

"You need to find something. Why not take whatever you could find for now and keep looking for what you want?"

Emma sighed. Kendra made it sound easier than done. She should never have dropped out of school, by lacking even a GED, made it all the harder to find another job. Why wouldn't the doughnut shop call her back? Her cell phone didn't vibrate once since filling out the application.

"You should ask Noah to help you find work. I'm sure he has connections somewhere."

"I haven't heard from Noah. It's not like him to go this long without at least calling me."

"Oh – and you tried to call him?"

"Of course I called him. All I get is his answering service."

"Something must be up. Maybe Noah is busy with work. There's been a rash of fires breaking out. Last weekend there was a five alarm fire just down the street from me. A firefighter got hurt in that fire when he saved a child. They never released the guy's name. Maybe Noah got stuck covering the man's shift for him while he recovers."