Chapter 31

I pull back, embarrassed, while Emily smirks. William gazes at me in amazement, then starts when he sees Emily. Woody is still trembling, and I swoop him up in my arms and hide my face in his wiry curls.

A somewhat dazed William climbs to his feet, struggling to regain his composure. He brushes a thick strand of hair off his face and stands up straight. "What in God's name just happened?" He looks to me, then back to my sister.

"You slipped," I say, "and fell. How do you feel?"

His hand moves to the back of his head and he flinches. "Fine. Just fine." His eyes fall back on Emily.

"Forgive me," I say. "This is my sister, Emily. Emily, may I introduce Professor William Hardcastle."

He stares at her and for a moment I think he may go down again. I reach out a hand to steady him. He looks from her to me, eyes wide but clear midnight blue. Emily and I are standing in full moonlight with faces bare. If there was ever any doubt that I was different, there is surely none now. I bite my lip, waiting for him to run screaming into the night.

"Emily," he says slowly. "How do you do?"

She gazes at him with startled eyes and gives him a nod. A splash of red and white light hits us. We turn to see an ambulance winding its way through the cemetery and when we turn back, she's gone.

"Emily," I whisper, wanting her to stay, yet fearing it as well.

Lucien steps out of the truck and threads his way between headstones toward us. I slide deeper into a shadow and drape my hood over my head. He looks perplexed when he sees William and me, standing unharmed.

"You okay?" he asks.

"False alarm. Sorry to call you out," I say.

William brushes the snow off his warm wool coat. "I took a bit of a tumble, but I'm perfectly fine now, if only rather embarrassed."

Lucien shakes his head. "Weird times. Dana never showed up for her shift tonight. Jimmy gave me the overtime. He's threatening to fire her. Says he's tired of her princess attitude. Maybe you should give her a call."

William frowns. "She never showed up for class today either. I'm afraid I'm going to have to fail her."

"But she finished her paper. I read it over. It actually wasn't that bad."

"I hope the killer didn't get her. Though she doesn't really fit the profile," Lucien says.

"What profile is that?" William asks.

"Sweet, innocent virgin."

Lucien's partner for the night, Chewi, walks up, hands shoved deep in his pockets for warmth. His beard's a profusion of chaos and his shirt's out. When he sees me, he makes a too-late effort to tuck it in. "What's going on?"

"Nothing. No complaint," Lucien says.

"Well, let's get the hell out here. This place gives me the creeps." Without a word, Lucien turns and slouches toward the truck.

I am afraid to look at William so instead I kiss the top of Woody's head. His trembling has subsided and he's calming in my arms. Ivanhoe jumps upon a crypt and looks at us with shining green eyes. Now he shows up, the little brat.

"Anne," William says. "Look at me."

Reluctantly, I obey. William grasps me gently above the elbow and guides me into a beam of moonlight. Carefully, he eases my hood back.

My hair is down, tousled from my run to the graveyard. I try to hide my face beneath it, but slowly he brushes a strand of hair off my face. His fingers leave a trail of warmth across my skin and I close my eyes, reveling in the sensation. This, I want to remember. My body is tingling, whether from blood or desire I'm not sure. Maybe they are the same.

He slides his hand beneath my chin and tilts my face up to his, into the moonlight. He sees me and he is not pulling away.

"There's something I want to show you. Will you come with me?"

I can taste him in my mouth. Strong and beautiful.

Silently, I nod. He is impossible to refuse.