Acknowledgements

It has taken me years to write this book, and many generous and patient souls have helped me along my journey. I am extremely grateful to the following people: Dana Isaacson, Ayesha Pande, Shelby Ozer, and Randy Brooks for their invaluable insight and guidance on this manuscript; Madison Smartt Bell and Judy Sternlight for their wisdom and support; Ericka Adams Cole and Julie MacKenzie for their sharp eyes and edits; and Patrick Knowles for his deadly cover design.

Heartfelt thanks to Marinda Williams for her insight on the Biltmore Estate; John Hinton, Joe Havel, Ruben Munoz, Jack Murphy, and Loren Schofield for answering my questions on hunting or the military; and Rick Rizzo for his input on law enforcement. Any mistakes I've made in the details of this story are solely mine. Thanks also to George Izquierdo whose insane imagination emboldened me to share Night Walker's story with him. As a result, Vander will never be the same.

Thank you to Asheville, NC, for being a vibrant source of inspiration. Note that I took liberties with Buncome County EMS and the Sheriff's Office, changing their names and expanding their territories for reasons of artistic license. As a firefighter/paramedic myself, I know with what fanatical specificity EMS and law enforcement know their territorial boundaries and it was in the spirit of story that I expanded them to encompass my narrative.

Thanks also to the fabulous female firefighters of Triple F for encouraging my writing and inspiriting the women of my story.

Enormous love and gratitude to Bob and Shirley Haff for their unfaltering support. I know a safe and loving space is always to be found with them.

All poetic passages in italics belong to Percy Bysshe Shelley, Emily Brontë, or Anne Brontë. Authorship is indicated by the text. I've attempted to remain true to the known Brontë biographies, allowing my imagination to fly freely only when describing the time following their deaths.

"The wild unsayable" is from Mark Doty's book of poetry, Deep Lane.

"Once upon a time there was a sweet little girl" is from Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm's "Little Red Cap."

"Lost in dreams, the gods of [his] religion" comes from a letter written by Charlotte Brontë.

Of course this novel would not exist without the immortal presence of the Brontës. Every single one of them is utterly unique and essential to the genius of the others. I am forever indebted to Branwell, Charlotte, Emily, and Anne, for being endless sources of inspiration, and to Reverend Patrick Brontë for so radically allowing his children to follow their own paths.

Deepest love to Woody. I will miss you forever.

And to my Mother who taught me that art matters and a life without dreams is meaningless—so fight for your dreams.

And to my husband, Rob, who makes all my dreams possible. For you, I would do anything.